Engraving supplies in Australia

John C

Hello all,

There is a person on one of my other groups that is wanting to start doing some basic hand engraving. (Either push or hammer). What are her options for getting basic starting supplies in Australia?

Thanks

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
As Andrew said, AJS & Combined Jewellery Services (http://www.cjservice.com.au/) will both carry various bits.
If you are looking for handles & basic (square/flat/onglette/etc) gravers, they will have it.
A&E Metals or similar will have some copper plates, or a local steel shop for steel plates to practice on.

I (and I know others in Aus) have ordered from Rio Grande/Otto Frei etc without much issue as well.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
As has already been mentioned AJS has virtually cornered the market for most tool supplies however the ranges are still rather limited - this happens when you try to supply to a small marketplace. If your friend has little or no knowledge of or experience in engraving he may not know what it is he is after and buying basic tools could be a disincentive to progressing. Little extras such as sharpening templates make the job of engraving a pleasure but if the novice can't sharpen the tools properly he may not continue for long - the GRS sharpening system may be available in Oz but if he is only interested in basic engraving he may not feel that the expense is worthwhile, that is where the templates that Lindsay provide come in. (Yes, I know that these aren't perfect especially if doing push engraving but it is certainly better than nothing if trying to work all this out from scratch)

My suggestion is research what it is he needs but don't limit purchases to what is available locally and also get him onto a couple of engraving fora to see what he is up for.

Roger

John C

Thanks Roger :)

You've hit the nail on the head. Your suggestions are pretty much what I have suggested to her. That, and to check out our group here, and spend some time in the tips section. A bit of education on the front side will save a lot of time and issues on the back side.

John

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Do they allow hammers and tool steel in Australia? If they do, no problemo...just make the chisel and buy the hammer. A simple drill press vise cemented into a bucket with lead tire weights and placed on a truck wheel bearing or a stationary stand on a pedestal to walk around (chasing the engraving ), an optivisor (based on eyesight) and should be good to go!

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
John,

As you can see there are a number of engravers in Oz (albeit a small number). If your friend made herself known to the forum I'm sure someone will pipe up and depending on her location offer her an afternoon in the workshop.

Roger

BLW

There are a number of suppliers in Australia, just need to know what your after and where to look

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
JohnC,I just looked over the Australia Jewelery supply there prices are out of site,chasing hammer $110,Meeks book the art of engraving $135,best go on ebay to find what you'll need. J.J.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
There are a number of suppliers in Australia, just need to know what your after and where to look

When I said that AJS seems to have cornered the market I was speaking as someone living in Adelaide - I'm open to suggestions - Twin Plaza Metals started in Adelaide and expanded to other capitals but their range of tools is very disappointing (at least now in the Adelaide showroom), I don't think Koodaks is still around (I'm wrong about this - they are still active), I have seen a guy (manufacturing jeweller) in Queensland who started selling tools to his students and now also deals in complete workshops of tools. There may be some dealers who use tool sales as a sideline (A & E Metals, Australian Sapphire etc) but let us know who else specializes in selling jewellery tools and who might offer more than two examples of a piece of equipment from which to choose.

Thanks,
Roger

Last edited:

snake1408

What is the go with the different power supplies , between USA and Australia , is there a converter available , we run 250 volt out here.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Snake,

I suggest that if you want a full explanation of the different power systems around the world you look it up on the internet etc. Unless you have your workshop completely wired for a different system (I believe this can be done provided you are completely separate from the normal power network ie independent solar, wind etc) just stick with the 240 volts that we have in Oz.

Roger

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all,

There is a person on one of my other groups that is wanting to start doing some basic hand engraving. (Either push or hammer). What are her options for getting basic starting supplies in Australia?

Thanks

John, just for the basics is probably ok from here, but for the other systems, I suggest to do some serious home work on where to purchase ( Australia or US) from experience I have bought stuff from the US at one third the price they wanted to charge me here, delivered!! of course you have to take into account for the exchange rate, shipping, waiting time, import duties if more than $1000.00 worth, etc.
I was told by a particular person from a particular shop, "I have to make my money some how", I said, well not from me ;)

Richard.

Andrew Biggs

A lot of the power systems now have dual voltage (or whatever it is called). Think phones, tablets, etc etc.

What that means is the only thing you need is a plug adaptor, not a convertor. Plug adaptors you can buy just about anywhere.

However.............always check with the supplier first and tell them where you are from and what voltage you have in your country................One phone call or e-mail can save a lot of grief. If the supplier doesn't have dual voltage then they generally carry both 120 and 240 volt items.

Yes, you can by convertors and all the rest of it but it's another expense so you may as well get the right one first.

Cheers
Andrew

John C

Thanks to all. I've told the lady about our forum here, and this thread. Hopefully she is lurking around and will joining up soon.
Again, thanks for all of the help. ;)

John

Latest posts

Sponsors