Small Saw

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
was cutting out some gold inlays and used this saw under the microscope.:cheers2[1]: a lot easier than a regular jewelry saw

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 338

horologist

Interesting tool. Where did you get this saw?
I have something similar that I made after reading an article about Kees Engelbarts. I had a clock that needed a set of hands and thought it would be useful, it was.

My version doesn't have much blade tension but that has been an advantage for cutting curved surfaces. It is used more like a file than a saw. Primarily for cutting and shaping details that files or normal piercing saws can't reach. I also made one with a strip of diamond coated shim stock which has proved a disappointment.

Troy

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rio grande has them, kind of a pain to insert the blade, but real handy. You can even use broken blades
I like the ones you made nice work

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks Dave! I like this idea. I've sawn under the scope for years and it's awkward. This saw looks really good.

Something else I've done is to make a slit at the end of a piece of 1/8" air line attached to my GraverMach auxiliary port, and attach it to my saw blade with a bread tie. I attach it so my blade is inside the slit and it blows the chips as I cut.

horologist

Thanks Dave.
I will pick up a set next order. They are a bit larger than the ones I made, mine are from a brass ring with a wall thickness of 1/8" and an OD of about 1 1/4".

Troy

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Something else I've done is to make a slit at the end of a piece of 1/8" air line attached to my GraverMach auxiliary port, and attach it to my saw blade with a bread tie. I attach it so my blade is inside the slit and it blows the chips as I cut.

could you please post a pic of that set-up? i'm have having trouble visualizing exactly what you've done. thanks!

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I have something similar that I made after reading an article about Kees Engelbarts. I had a clock that needed a set of hands and thought it would be useful, it was.

My version doesn't have much blade tension but that has been an advantage for cutting curved surfaces. It is used more like a file than a saw. Primarily for cutting and shaping details that files or normal piercing saws can't reach. I also made one with a strip of diamond coated shim stock which has proved a disappointment.

Troy

It's hard to beat those "Kant Twist" clamps. I've got 1 inch, 2 inch, 4 in and 6 inch "Kant Twist" clamps and they can't be beat.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam
I like that idea, also knew concepts sells 10/0 blades but pricey, the 8/0 are a little rough for 30 ga metal

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
holy cow,sam ! all along i thought you were just a pretty face. guess i was rong.

monk

Staff member
was cutting out some gold inlays and used this saw under the microscope.:cheers2[1]: a lot easier than a regular jewelry saw

some time ago i grew tired of the german style. bought a fancy knew concepts saw. after a couple months, i threw the dang thing away, and am now back to my 2 german styled ones. i truly cant wrap my mind around doing this under the scope! even with the minisaw you show here.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks, Sam! i couldn't quite figure how the blade was inside the tubing.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
bought a fancy knew concepts saw. after a couple months, i threw the dang thing away,

hey, Monk, i've been thinking about getting the smallest Knew Concepts model for some time now, and you're the first person i've heard who doesn't like them. what, in particular, did you find so offensive?

and if you only threw it in a drawer, not the trash, i'd be glad to take it off your hands...

monk

Staff member

Troy

they look cool. i also like your bench pin.

monk

Staff member
hey, Monk, i've been thinking about getting the smallest Knew Concepts model for some time now, and you're the first person i've heard who doesn't like them. what, in particular, did you find so offensive?

and if you only threw it in a drawer, not the trash, i'd be glad to take it off your hands...

i'd give it to you, but really threw it in the trash. my saw had a "built in blade guage. important, so as to not have to readjust the saw during blade change. problem: more often than not, when i'd snip a new blade to the exact length, it was either too tight, or too loose. i spent more time fiddling with it, i just went back to my original germans. to be fair to the manufacturer, it was very well made. the only thing that may have been the problem, was the blades. i used the junk blades-- you kow-- 144 blades for 8 bucks. to be fair to the "junk blades", they work perfectly well in the german saws! maybe the problem was when cutting the blades to length, not sure. i'll never know. i'm not bashing knew concepts at all. only saying it wasn't a tool i eventually found favor with. ymmv

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a knew concepts saw with the cam tensioning, I like it. Had a issue and returned it for repair, back in a week with $5 bill to cover shipping I spent . MTC quality company

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK Brian
It was one of the first saws modified to the cam lock. And it did not work . Welcome back you old curmudgeon:rolleyes:
Now I remember those issues with the heavenly bodies, you know stars constellations etc.;)

Last edited: