Announcement: Robert D. Swartley

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Robert Douglas Swartley, Napa, California
January 8, 1937 - July 23, 2016

It was with profound sadness that FEGA was notified of the passing of one of our most senior members, Bob Swartley. A Founding Charter Member and Master of FEGA, Bob was an active, occupational gun engraver since 1957.

Born in San Luis Obispo, California, Bob was a graduate of the gunsmithing course at the Colorado School of Trades and a veteran of the US Army. From 1960 to 1962, Bob worked for Griffin & Howe in New York City under the tutelage of Austrian Master, Josef Fugger.

After G&H Bob settled in Napa, California where he worked as a freelance engraver until his passing. Bob was predeceased by his wife, Norma and is survived by his son Matthew.

Look for a full feature article on Bob Swartley in an upcoming issue of The Engraver magazine.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There will be a service at the Seventh Day Adventist Church on G street in Napa on Saturday the 30th
Of July at 2 pm. All are welcome.

Andrew Biggs

Yes, very sad news indeed.

I met him a couple of times at the FEGA shows. A very nice and interesting man................and an outstanding engraver. His work was world class!!

Cheers
Andrew

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I am very sorry to hear of this news. Bob was a great engraver and a dear friend. I had been trying to call Bob for some time to no avail and feared he might be ill. My sincere sympathy and regards to Mathew!

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I first remember meeting him in Las Vegas in the mid-'80s. I was standing with a small group of engravers and gunmakers and he just started talking to me and complimented me on my work. Of course I knew who he was, but kind of assumed he had no idea who I was. I always thought that was very nice of him.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Condolences to the family of Mr. Swartley,I never meet him but away's admired his engraving on firearms especially the game scenes and the wine labels he designed. J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Bob was a great engraver and a kind fellow. I have a few of his prints and he even printed a plate for me that I engraved back in the late 80s. So sorry to hear of his passing, and heartfelt condolences to his family.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For those unfamiliar with Bob Swartley's work, I have attached two examples below. The rifle is an 1886 Winchester and the other image is a print taken from a plate that Bob engraved in 1992. Bob's work was also featured in American Engravers (1980) and American Engravers-the 21st Century.

Attachments

• 2b-Swartley-Yosemite-1992-crop-25%.jpg
    2b-Swartley-Yosemite-1992-crop-25%.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 327
  • 4b-Swartley-1886 Winchester-left-crop-25%.jpg
    4b-Swartley-1886 Winchester-left-crop-25%.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 327

Jim B

My condolence to Mathew and family. Bob introduced me to a whole new world of engraving. I have always marveled at his ability of line engraving. He will be missed. If anyone has Mathew's mailing address would you please post it or send me his address.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of my dear friend Robert Swartley.
A great artist and alway a kind gentleman.
My sincere condolences to Mathew.
God speed Bob
John B. (John Barraclough)

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is indeed very sad news Bob was a true gentleman of enourmous talent and humility
I fondly remember one time a few years back when i was visiting family in Napa, i usually got together with Terry Wallace this one time he said lets go have lunch with Bob and we met over at a Marie Callenders restaurant and had some great conversations about engraving and anything else that came to mind at one point we realized the restaurant was now empty and it was 4 PM time flies when you are having fun with friends we were also surprised the restaurant let us sit there that long.
Rest in peace Bob :tiphat:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Same Callenders restaurant... maybe a dozen times over the years. I was asking for advice on banknote engraving. He would always take the time to meet me there.

He'd never eat anything, just drink tea and talk. I don't think we were ever in there for less than 5 hours at a time. The staff seemed to be used to it and the place never never seemed to be busy enough to need our table.

Which was probably a good thing - because I would have half the table covered with work in progress, drawings and castings from other engravers I wanted to discus with him. He'd have the other half covered with wine labels, his drawings, a graver or two to show me how he sharpened and sometimes a printing plate.

Probably took us a half hour just to pack up when we got ready to leave...

Once I brought a 2.5 inch engravers loupe with me to see if he could tell me how Sam Welch had done the hair on a deer (or was it the fox?) using a casting I had of Sam's that I had brought with me. (Even though I took Sam's class, my memory wasn't/still isn't all that great)

He figured it out instantly and explained it to me again. (Sorry Sam, I'm a little slow - and you weren't around to ask) He really liked that loupe and kept playing with it for hours.

So I hunted up another one and gave it to him the last time I saw him...

He really was one of the best.

Brian

Last edited:

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
Hearing one of the greatest engraver has passed away is very sad,

My deepest condolences to his family and his friends.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I met Mr Swartley at one of the first FEGA shows I attended and remember he was a very gracious and interesting man. I knew who he was and what he meant to the engraving community and was in awe that he would talk with me, but he did and acted as if I was just one of his buddies. I will remember him as one of the great giants in the world of engraving that he truly was. My condolences to the family.

Bill

Sponsors