Latest satirical dollar.

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
I haven't posted in a while but thought some of you may get a kick out this satirical coin I just finished. It's not a carved coin, but based off the the original carving I did in 2010 using a 1922 Peace Dollar as a host coin. It's an ongoing series of carved coins and now available as a .999 silver round struck from hand engraved dies. I updated the motto to reflect current events. It's titled, "The Death of Liberty" This version is not available for sale yet but the earlier version will be available for a short time from the Intaglio Mint in Colorado until these are released.

Attachments

• FixIsInOBV.jpg
    FixIsInOBV.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 301
  • FixIsInREV.jpg
    FixIsInREV.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 303

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
I like your coin but, I think you need a hug.

Thank you. I could probably use one. I know this is a pretty dark subject and that skull coins are getting quite redundant but a lot of that trend started with a similar coin I carved in 2010. Apparently a photo of it went viral and inspired dozens of new carvers to start taking up carving all sorts of coins. It made a huge impact on the hobby 6 years ago, but today it's just another skull coin offered at spot plus. I think I've worn out my welcome in numismatics and engraving. I had a lot of passion for it at one time and foolishly threw threw away all my money trying to build a museum of minting technology. It turns out that nobody but me and handful of others saw any value in what I was trying to do, so it left me pretty discouraged. Oh well. I still have my music.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I hope you know that was just my attempt at some humor. Even though that's not my taste, I do see your talent and that's what I look for when I come to this forum. The level of sculpting ,lettering and finish are something I am still trying to climb up to. Another hump I can't seem to get over is the creativity these exceptional engravings have. Pig Latin I never thought to practice, and I see the skull fits nicely with the theme of the coin. Thank you for posting.

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
No sweat speedy. Nothing to do with you. I'm at a crossroads in life and a big part of it is my disappointment with the direction this country is going. This piece is one way I can try to illustrate that but I feel it's not being understood as I had intended. It seemed to be a LOT better received when I first introduced the concept in 2010. Thanks for the nice comments.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like your work tremendously and the theme of this one hits the mark right on. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a new national coin.

Bill

Scratchmo

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys. Sorry to weird out on you. I get these little bouts of depression now and then that really don't make any sense and I still haven't learned to just STFU when I do.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Don't worry... I'm sure quite a few of us got the point. I certainly did.

And a lot of us are more than a little depressed...

In a country as large and diverse as this one - the absolute best that the major political parties can come up with, are THOSE two?

Brian

(Yeah, I know - no politics allowed. At least I think I am being fair - both parties choices suck. Delete if you wish)

Latest posts

Sponsors