1886 Winchester

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
My latest engraving and restoration project. I have had one the FEGA masters stop by my shop and give a critique some good some bad. I would like to know what you all think. I want to take a class,self taught to this point what would do me the most good?
Beginner,Intermediate,Advanced Try pottery?
Most of this cutting was done with a system3 from GRS.
Thanks, Leland

Attachments

• DSC02129.jpg
    DSC02129.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC02135.jpg
    DSC02135.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC02130.jpg
    DSC02130.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC02141.jpg
    DSC02141.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC02148.jpg
    DSC02148.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 299

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i dislike the design theme on the right side. too me, it's inconsistent and a bit chaotic. the cutting on the bottom is rather nicely executed. the stippling seems to be good, but difficult for me to tell from the foto. for short, your design skill lags behind the cutting skill. forget the pottery. i feel an intermediate class would be a good start for you. in the meantime, get yerself a couple books on scroll design & development. and work with them till you can take a class. thanks for sharing your project.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Monk, I should have led with this is not my design on the sides this is a winchester pattern by one of the Ulrich's. I did change some things the scrolls on the right side crashed into the border and were flat on top. The scrolls ended about half way down the right side leaving the back half open I continued their pattern around the loading gate.I do have to take credit for the bottom could not find a photo of the bottom so I just tried to make look like it belonged to the rifle. This was all done at customers request.
I do have design books and purchased Sam's scroll video very helpful. I work on drawing when ever I can.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Leland

Yes, there are improvements to make especially in the scene work. And the scrollwork has a few areas that could use some attention on future projects. But hey, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Having said that, being self taught using a System 3 you are doing well :)

What class to take?........I would say intermediate or advanced (definitely not the pottery). We have some instructors here on the forum so maybe Rex or Sam could guide you in the right direction.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
Thanks Monk, I should have led with this is not my design on the sides this is a winchester pattern by one of the Ulrich's. I did change some things the scrolls on the right side crashed into the border and were flat on top. The scrolls ended about half way down the right side leaving the back half open I continued their pattern around the loading gate.I do have to take credit for the bottom could not find a photo of the bottom so I just tried to make look like it belonged to the rifle. This was all done at customers request.
I do have design books and purchased Sam's scroll video very helpful. I work on drawing when ever I can.

the very rear on the rt side, starting at the top and going down and then forward-- that's what really made me wonder about the design. at least in the foto, to me, serves no purpose. the bottom design fits the gun well, i think.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, I see what your talking about so should of left that off or turned so the scroll faces to the rear? Maybe if I had come off the bottom scroll it would be going toward the rear of the gun where rest of the flow was heading. I will have to chalk this one up to experience can't fix it now but I may have just learned something and that always makes it a good day.
Thanks Monk you have just opened my eyes to what was right there. Just hope I can retain it on the next job.
Leland

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew and SamW, Thanks for your help I apologize for the slow response I wrote one but forgot to click the post button.
Thanks,
Leland

monk

Staff member
Monk, I see what your talking about so should of left that off or turned so the scroll faces to the rear? Maybe if I had come off the bottom scroll it would be going toward the rear of the gun where rest of the flow was heading. I will have to chalk this one up to experience can't fix it now but I may have just learned something and that always makes it a good day.
Thanks Monk you have just opened my eyes to what was right there. Just hope I can retain it on the next job.
Leland

the amount of time one spends looking a all those lines-- easy to lose track of what you're trying to achieve.