Hi, newbie, interested in hobo nickels, any advice?

Hi, the title pretty much says it all. I'm basically looking for a new hobby and this has my attn. I've always was into models but they can get expensive, where as I guess nickels, well, are only five cents, no? I just don't know where to start? Do you need anything special, I have a Dremel and small workstation, along with a bunch of other junk(as the wife calls it) so I was just wondering if anyone can give me some tips as to where to start? As for me I'm happily married, have been for going on 17yrs with two boys 12 and 16. As you probably guessed I'm a plumber, well was, I haven't been for a while due to medical, other then that we live on the out skirts of Detroit mi. I'm originally from Ct, and the wife from philly, we met when I was going to college, all thanks to a online chat room, and well that's life. Thanks. JR

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome JR,

There is a similar request for help and advice that was started only last week. Lots of advice there without having to go over the same ground again. To work in the detail you might want the Dremel might have to go and you will have to get some more "junk". Hope this new hobby takes you in the direction you want.

Roger

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Hey,

There is a huuuge amount of engraving information in this group, including stuff specific to hobo nickels, just search around. Also, if you are on facebook, there is a very active group for the Original Hobo Nickel Society where you may get quicker responses to specific questions. I am one of the admins, so mention my name and I'll save you a seat. I grew up in Northeastern Warren, where are you at?

Joe Paonessa

Ok, thanks guys, I just don't know where to start? I've seen some of these toys like that airchisel or that ball vise, that tilts and then spins, like totally cool, but that's like over $2k right there? The bowling ball is a neat trick but idk, the one that's got me thinking is the chisel, the jewelers have something totally like it but still out of my price range, what about a Dremel "engraver" not the rotating one, and just use a chisel tip? Grant it I'm going to have to make my own tips, and it's not as small or light as the air ones but, same idea, no? Everywhere I've looked they all show what they do, but not how they got there or started off. And $$ is a little tight do to medical.
JR

Oh and JP, a little cute town called riverview, southwest of Detroit.

kuzcokelly

Foredom also makes a hammering hand piece that is an engraver and you can purchase other hand pieces for it as you go so you have the rotary tool and the engraving hand piece starting out a bit less expensive. At som point you will get sucked in and want to purchase a GRS system or a Lindsay system which gets back to an investment but it is a good investment. I watch the sales of engraving equipment and this is an area where your investment is safe. You can get your money back out of your purchase every time.. Good Luck and to steal a phrase from somebody on the Cafe...Cut an inch a day!!!

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
I would recommend starting off with hand tools rather than power. My first hobo nickel was hot glued to a piece of plywood and my first gravers were drill bits ground to shape on a bench grinder and stuck into corks. I now use mostly hammer and chisel even though I have a graver mate, I just prefer the feedback I get through the hammer when striking the chisel. Ii you want to try making your own, Wholesale tools, on 10 mile in Warren, sells Hss and cobalt lathe bits that can be ground into any shape graver or chisel you need. Here is a link http://www.wttool.com/index/page/category/category_id/15882/
I use the shorter 3/16 square ones with a wooden ball from hobby lobby to make hand gravers (less than $2.00 each) and I use the longer 1/4 inch square ones to make chisels. A ball peen hammer works fine for carving if you don't want to spend the money on a dedicated chasing hammer. I use an optivisor for my 53 year old eyes, less than $40, and for my first vise I did use a bowling ball and it worked just fine. Other than the bowling ball, these are the same tools my first engraving instructor used and no one is going to say Steve Adams' work suffered from his choice of tools. Just remember, the Mojo is in the man, not the tools.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
adjust your jeans, plumber. using power saves time, but will not make an engraver outta you. i would advise to purchase a stereo ZOOM microscope. if you get serious about hobos, they are a blessing. eye strain , neck pain, and such may be your constant companion, unless you're blessed with exceptional vision. you really should avail yourself of the mountain of info on doing this work. without doing this .you'll be lookin for a black cat, in a dark room, that is not even there. none of us would ever discourage you. rather, we encourage you to learn a bit before jumpin in the pool. good luck.

I have done over 30 Hobo Nickels now using a Dremel exclusively but engraving it is not.

I reached a point personally where the detail I desired wasn't happening or easily obtainable with a rotary tool and have pretty much ceased making them.

That said, the process isn't without value. I chose to use a Dremel with a 1/16" friction burs (known as dental burs by some) primarily, stones, polishers, and scrapers made from hobby blades/worn out burs.

The recommendations the forum gives are sound, a rotary has a place but in the end if engraving is what you desire a Dremel isn't the tool for the job.

Pushing some hand gravers around on the softer nickel metals is a good start as is drawing...lots of drawing. If you have any specific questions regarding Dremel use, feel free to send me a private message and I will happily share what I can process-wise.

Best,

Lee

Corpus Callosum.jpg

DSC00037_2.jpg

adjust your jeans, plumber. using power saves time, but will not make an engraver outta you. i would advise to purchase a stereo ZOOM microscope. if you get serious about hobos, they are a blessing. eye strain , neck pain, and such may be your constant companion, unless you're blessed with exceptional vision. you really should avail yourself of the mountain of info on doing this work. without doing this .you'll be lookin for a black cat, in a dark room, that is not even there. none of us would ever discourage you. rather, we encourage you to learn a bit before jumpin in the pool. good luck.

And I thank you all for any info! I know it's been a while but I live a very rough life, another reason I'm looking for something to do to just clear my head. I haven't made any progress even though I have three nickels sitting on my desk!
JR

Ok I'm back, it's been a little while and those three nickels are still siting on the workstation, it's just been a rough time. One question I do have is this Dremel 290 engraver, it's not a rotary tool but strokes, is this the same as those airhammers? Just rather then holding just a small wood handle piece your holding the whole thing? I was just wondering? I got to start but it's going to be by hand, and if I get into this hobby then I might see where this goes.. JR

Karlspinks

It's an oscillating hand peice. The motor turns a cog which effectively knocks on the base of the tip. This creates a lot of vibration and not a smooth action compared to a pnuematic system.

Also on a dremel or engraving tool of this type the surface marks are cause by a pointed tip punching the piece whereas a pneumatic system cuts through the surface allowing more control, and will also allow you to bevel cuts and adjust depth.

It's an oscillating hand peice. The motor turns a cog which effectively knocks on the base of the tip. This creates a lot of vibration and not a smooth action compared to a pnuematic system.

Also on a dremel or engraving tool of this type the surface marks are cause by a pointed tip punching the piece whereas a pneumatic system cuts through the surface allowing more control, and will also allow you to bevel cuts and adjust depth.
Ok, so if I ground the tip and put a cutting tip rather then just a basic point? I figured the tip would have to be fixed, would that do anything, And as the Dremel goes I figured it would be much more vibration since your holding the motor unlike the air system.
I'm just looking to start off, so I'll be doing so by hand and going from there, cause who knows I might not be able to do anything so I'm not waisting $$, JR

zannacw

Hey Joe! I am a newbie engraver as well! I just added into the facebook group :)

zannacw

I adore this. I'm a flex shaft/dremel girl. I'd love to talk with you!

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I am just a hobbyist engraver, so take what I say with a grain of salt or ignore me.

YouTube, Shaun Hughes, he started out learning to engrave using a concrete nail and a piece of copper on his finger for a hammer. From there he made his own pneumatic hammer style engraver. For now find the videos about his hand pushing with a concrete nail. https://www.youtube.com/user/express375

I think if you watch the push type engraving videos a few times, pay attention and take some notes it will help you get started on the CHEAP. Start practicing your drawing, start by practicing on drawing what you think you want on those nickels. Drawing and sharpening have been the keys for me. Once I got past the sharpening everything started to fall in place a little at a time. I still have a long way to go, but I have "wasted" some practice pieces of steel from Home Depot and learned to sharpen concrete nails.

Get a box of 3.5" or 3" Maze Masonry Nails, cut the heads off. Go to Google and search images of "homemade graver sharpening jigs", look at the images and then go to the page and read about how they were made. Not rocket science, but you can create a repeatable system so that you sharpen your nail the same each and every time. Shaun Hughes has a video on making templates, you can even download his pattern. Better than nothing and the cost is minimal. While you are reading about sharpening systems, you will see a lot of stuff about angles/degrees of the gravers. Take some notes, so you can find that stuff again.

In my opinion sharpening and drawing are the 2 main keys of engraving, without both you will be miserable. Practicing the drawings, will help you with hand control when you start pushing the graver. Sharpening, a dull graver won't cut the metal. You have to have the angles and a system to sharpen and it needs to be repeatable.

This is the hard way, but I am having fun. While I am thinking about it, if you are a plumber, then you know electricians, get some that you know to save the knockout plugs from the junction boxes. They are soft metal and about the size of a nickel.

Every question that you can think of has been asked before, the answers are in the old threads, the more you read, the better you will understand what you have to do to get where you want to go.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I adore this. I'm a flex shaft/dremel girl. I'd love to talk with you!

theres a forum by steve lindsay. on that site is an absolutely teriffic tutorial by steve ellsworth. it is a "must-see" video for anyone wishing to learn hobo carving. i think the # one tool for doing hobos is a stereo zoom scope with a .5 objective. good luck.