chinese clone on ebay -- concern

once-in-while

Hi, everybody.
First an introduction.
I am new to engraving, and have been trying hammer and chisel and push gravers. I am in the Omaha Ne. USA area.

I have been this forum and ebay for used equipment.
After reading many posts on what to buy, I can see that there are clones of GRS equipment that are to be avoided.
Mostly the clones are easy to see on ebay, as they are inexpensive and have off names.

then I see these two listings......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HH-G02-Pneu...668356?hash=item2ef2109404:g:3KYAAOSwhMFXksyZ

----and------
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HH-G01-Pneu...667281?hash=item2ef2108fd1:g:qXMAAOSw4s9XksuT

I think they are using GRS stock images.
One thing is they are priced like discounted GRS machines.
Until I saw they were shipping from China, I thought they were the real deal.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The machines look pretty convincing at first glance, but they are not GRS stock photos.

Obviously they are copies and you can imagine how difficult it will be sending it back to China when it breaks.

ahenson

Thanks for the email, Sam. We are constantly batting these listings down as much as possible. We'll get these reported to eBay and hopefully get them taken down. ~Amanda

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
I have been to china quite a few times for business, and I have seen many copies from watches to jewelry to brand name tools.
on my last trip to Guanzough China I stopped by the jewelry tools market, and they have anything that comes to mind...
I bought a GRS micro ball vise for $39.00 it had the markings and all, but of course when you use it you can feel the difference in the quality and bearings.
and they use cheap materials to make it. I did see the GRS engraving systems there but when you pick it up you can tell that they are clones and have cheap materials inside, they were going for around $500 on the local market. and in order to convince buyers they say that they are made in Taiwan and are good quality. I used the vise a few times and that was it...
when you buy original quality equipment you will get a lifetime of service out of it

here is a picture of the micro block from China

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I almost bought a couple of power generators a while back...but when I perused the manuals that came with them it dawned on me there were no "finger prints" anywhere...meaning that there was an almost useless parts list but no phone numbers or business address where the manufacturer could be contacted. If something went wrong, and it most assuredly would have, there was no help in sight, period!! Another knock-off from China!

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Cal GRS if you want to go with one of their systems. I bought a refurbished Gravermax from the the class's they offer and saved a few hundred $. I've been engraving with it for about 6 years now and still going. Spend the money once ( on quality) and complain about it once. I've bought quality tools and never regretted it. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

JJ Roberts

Buy American,ask before you buy this what I tell students when they ask about tools and what to buy before coming to my class.Don't buy anything till you talk to me and that the way I keep them from buying tools they don't need,been there .J.J.PS that what this forum is all about.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't work for GRS, never have and probably never will. Every time I ever bought any cheap equipment I was sorry I did. I have bought a fair amount of equipment from GRS and so have some of my students and friends. I never regretted buying from them and have never had one problem with any of their equipment nor has any of the others I have recommended to them. GRS equipment is expensive but anything of that quality is. The most expensive stuff is the stuff you get cheap that doesn't work right. I bought about 10 Chinese flashlights and they usually last about 3 weeks. Finally bought one made in America 3 years ago for $39.00. It still works great. I have had it with that cheap junk.

JJ Roberts

About two months ago I found an Parker bench vise the company that made the Parker double guns the vise was made in 1923,gave $150.00 and happy to find.Like they say they don't make them like that anymore. J.J.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Ha, Sam is correct. These are not GRS stock images. They even have brand name at the bottom, "Huahui". Exercise for the reader, find out what 'hui' means in Russian. These Chinese names make me laugh all the time :)

alladin

Nice one Vilts,
That about sums it up.
Thanks for the Russian lesson. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mark Twain said that each home should have a special room for swearing because it's dangerous to suppress that much emotion. Thanks for teaching us a new Russian swear word, Vilts!

Latest posts

Sponsors