Using Draw Plate:

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
What is the best method of tapering gold wire to pass through the next smaller hole in a draw plate?

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
For larger diameters a rolling mill will taper the end down to about 1mm.
After that you have to file it.

File a little groove into a bench pin or piece of scrap wood for the wire to lay in.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use Chris DeCamillus's technique. He rolls the tip of the annealed gold wire on a solid metal surface with another hard metal plate. You can taper the wire quite easily between the two metal objects and not waste any gold.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Doc, I'll give that method a try. I tried the block of wood and wasn't very successful at it.

Georgey

After the wire has been annealed,lightly hammer the last 2 inches on a steel block turning at the same time.You are doing two things work hardening the end , and producing a slight taper.
A point can be filed on a bench peg,or you use a piece of wood in your engravers vice.I normally repeat this ; anneal,hammer , file ,after about 4 holes in my draw plate. 22ct is soft so you might get a little further.I use vaseline to lubricate wire. The point or taper should be sufficent for the wire to stick about half inch through draw plate.Hope this helps.G

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
using a draw plate.

I tried all the above and they all worked but when I got down to the very fine wire It was very frustrating. I use the buffer. I push the end of the wire up against the buffer with a stick or a anything just to hold it against the wheel for a second or two. The buffing wheel with 250 grit abrasive will reduce the end of wire very quickly. I use bullet lube on the wire.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
are you going to begin inlaying on your clips ? i think that would make them really sparkle.

Monk, yeah I had about a yard of .014 Gold (24K) so I decided to play around a little. I did one with copper just to see how it would look and then I did one in gold.

Latest posts

Sponsors