From drawing to finished engraved scene

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Been a while since I posted anything….so here goes!
Recently the topic was discussed of working from a rough drawing to do your engraving …..and how "rough" some of us are.
Here's a bit of step-by-step on a project I did some time ago that'll show how I do it.
It shows the progression from the basic drawing through to the finished scene. Obviously, there are a few steps omitted but, this'll give you the general idea.
I use a very light coat of oil on the surface of the steel followed by a dusting of talcum powder. This prep allows a pencil line to be easily seen and, corrected if necessary. Yes…there are other ways to do it but, again, this is how I do it.
How you find this helpful,
Weldon

Attachments

• Scene roughed in.jpg
    Scene roughed in.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_0089_edited.jpg
    IMG_0089_edited.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_0070_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_0070_edited-1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 474
  • Outline cut.jpg
    Outline cut.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 474
  • Flush gold ready.jpg
    Flush gold ready.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 473
  • Copy of Opus2.jpg
    Copy of Opus2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 476
  • Drawing.jpg
    Drawing.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 478

possumgritz

Mr. Lister. Every time I see your work, I get the same feeling I had as a kid every Christmas morning. Initially there's shock at the first site and then a realization that what I'm seeing is real and not a dream. After that realization, my feeling is nothing other than just pure joy. The difference in your work and santa's toys is that I've never gotten tired of looking at your engraving. It's Christmas morning every time I see it. Thank you!!!

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Ok, if I had that gun I think I would hang it around my neck like those rappers with their big, oversize pendants and such. I stopped in my tracks and gaped at it. You have transformed a basically utilitarian tool into a piece of manjewelery ( one word ). It's work like that ,that made me want to try to engrave. Thank you for posting . I'm going to try all you showed. Oh, my gosh !

Eugene Carkoski

Elite Cafe Member
I do have a question, did you use a different color gold for the Buffalo in the distance, then what you use for the close-up?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
beautifu look to the gun. it fits very nicely to this gun. i esp like the treatment done on the bison. very good textural effects. tyvm for showing.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to ALL for the kind words!

Possumgritz: that made me smile especially considering I was born on Christmas day…

Eugene: 14K yellow for the flush inlayed buffalo & 24K fro the indian & the big buffalo in front.

WL

Added some pics of the completed project which was done in 2007…..

Attachments

• Copy of Opus3.jpg
    Copy of Opus3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 321
  • Copy of Opus1.jpg
    Copy of Opus1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 325
  • one gig card 003.jpg
    one gig card 003.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Opus4.jpg
    Opus4.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I looked at the thirtieth anniversary poster of FEGA on my wall and if I'm not mistaken one of the two featured guns on the poster is this excellent handgun. The other was engraved by Mike Dubber. Quite a pair.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to all!
Sam:back atcha!!
Lee: yes, that's the Colt on the FEGA 30th poster
Donny: it's French gray

Thanks again,
Weldon