Advice for engraveable nickels?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been thinking about finally doing one of these things and would like to know the current thoughts on best years/range, condition, prices, etc. Thanks in advance! :tiphat:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You're a world class engraver. If you're going to do a nickel then make it a 1913 which is the first year of the buffalo/indian head nickel. That adds extra appeal to collectors and shows 'em you mean business. Also, spend the bucks and get one in excellent condition. Again, more appealing to collectors. My first ones were common dates that were worn out and cost 50-cents each from a local coin shop. They were good to learn on and there's nothing wrong with that, but serious carvings should go on serious host coins.

Anxious to see what you come up with! There's a big collectors market out there, although I've been out of the loop for awhile and not sure how strong the demand is. Most likely it will always be strong for high quality carvings.

And whatever you do look up the work of Aleksey Saburov!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
holy cr@p... sometimes there's a not-so-fine line between inspiring and demoralizing...

Yeah, well Aleksey will make anyone want to stop carving coins! I would suggest starting with a classic bearded hobo with a derby. Great way to learn and have fun. And I mean fun...they are very forgiving and the characters are whimsical, so it's hard to make blunder and it's not weeks of commitment like gun and knife engraving. Coin carving is probably the most fun I've ever had engraving.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I had the opportunity to meet Aleksey Saburov in 2013 at Ken Hurst's annual engrave in and see his beautiful coin carving,this young man is some artist the detail,anatomy,wow.:thumbsup: J.J.

monk

Staff member
if you don't have a scope, get one. i found they're much easier to do with good magnification. a nickel holder is also a great help. no messin around with t loc or hot melt. a holder also reduces the occurance of incidental dings to the rim. last, but not least, you'll likely learn how to turn used dental drills & such into useful tiny tools.
may be a bit of a pita, but using tiny tools makes it far easier to get into very small nooks and crannies. i used the same basic geometry as the standard gravers, just way , way smaller. sharpening system is almost mandatory, but you don't need to turn on the power to your hone.

monk

Staff member
holy cow ! this work is unbelieveable, just for a starting comment.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I've met Aleksey on 2 occasions at an "Engrave-In" at Ken Hurst's in N.C. You should see some of his work in person,it is truly amazing. Aleksey is truly the master. Trained in Russia. I think he's also a Martial Arts guy to boot and his beautiful daughter is a ballerina. Aleksey is art in many forms.

By the way, has anyone been in contact with Ken Hurst lately. I tried to call him but his number has been disconnected?

monk

Staff member
I've met Aleksey on 2 occasions at an "Engrave-In" at Ken Hurst's in N.C. You should see some of his work in person,it is truly amazing. Aleksey is truly the master. Trained in Russia. I think he's also a Martial Arts guy to boot and his beautiful daughter is a ballerina. Aleksey is art in many forms.

By the way, has anyone been in contact with Ken Hurst lately. I tried to call him but his number has been disconnected?

i talked with him, maybe a year ago. have lost track of his number. i hope that he is ok

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i talked with him, maybe a year ago. have lost track of his number. i hope that he is ok

The last I talked with David Bain, a couple months ago, Ken was doing better and was back engraving. I'm feeling bad for not checking in with him more often.

Latest posts

Sponsors