Question: Engraving Classes in Vancouver, BC?

canadianwuff

Hello!
I recently discovered the fine art of engraving and am very fascinated by it. Unfortunately, I've been looking and asking around for beginner's engraving classes but can't seem to find any here in Vancouver.

I'm wondering if there are any folks here that know who or where I could find such classes?

My interest would be learning how to engrave small pieces (like watch dials) as well as basse-taille enameling.

Thank you!

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Shawn Didyoung and Diane Scalese both have taught, Diane at GRS, Shawn at a variety of locales. They both live in Montana and would probably be able to work out a one-on-one for a day to a week. They are both members of this forum too.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
there are engravers in vancouver. no formal classes (besides the nwc one at the indian centre), but you might be able to talk somebody into one on one class.
hard to beat ray cover tho.. he's got it down to a science

canadianwuff

Thanks diandwill!

Chujybear: Do you have a link to the indian centre? I'm new to Canada, and googling didn't turn up any hits :)

I also got a tip from Lacy West, unfortunately, the gent is not teaching students at the moment. Ray Cover's classes look awesome, maybe one day I can attend them, after I learn how to drive :)

Cheers!

suf

Hi Canadianwuff,

Aside from the Native Education Centre, you won't fine any formal classes around here. On occasion I have seen very basic hand push workshops offered at some of the schools that offer continuing ed. jewellery classes, both here and in Seattle- you might try calling around and expressing interest.

I traveled to take classes, I had to do a lot of research first. I also don't drive:)

Su

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thats it.. native education college.
vancouver community college jewellery program has an engraving component.. really doesn't dig into it tho..
are you in the arts already?

suf

Chujybear- I think you are right about VCC, I had a similar experience at the Kootenay School.

Canadianwuff- I'm too much of a novice to even think about teaching, but you are welcome to visit my studio and ask any questions you like. I'll be happy to talk to you about how I have been learning. Also, if you go through the archives here, and click on any threads that start with something like 'newbie question' you'll find a lot of answers. Email me if you like- info@sufoster.com

canadianwuff

Thanks! They seem like individual tutorials though, not a cohesive course. I think it will be a good supplement to books, workshops and other sources of material. Thanks again!

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
http://www.engravinglessons.com/

http://www.engravingclasses.com/

If you truly want to learn to engrave, you should spend the money to attend a one week class with any teaching engraver. It will be expensive. You may find you don't really want to spend the time and/or money to learn to be an engraver...or it will enhance your desire AND cut years off the learning curve. It will allow the on-line courses and DVD instruction to make sense.

It may well be the best money you ever spend, either way!

canadianwuff

Hi diandwill!
Believe me, I would love to do it. But I don't drive, and don't want to deal with border crossings. There aren't any engraving classes here in Vancouver, but I've been very fortunate to meet with Su at her studio just this weekend, and it was extremely illuminating, the costs, tools and amazing art one can create.

I originally planned to get a a powered setup, but after studying Grabado Con Buril videos on youtube, I've decided to go the hand-push with h&c route.

For a start, I'll be getting a grs standard block, and the sharpening sets and hand push tools from Steve Lindsay's website. Currently have the Jewellery Engraver's Manual, and I'll see how I go from there :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

grey_goat

Man, I wish I'd found this thread earlier. I'm in Vancouver also and have had a back burning interest in engraving for years, ever since I dabbled in bone carving. How far did you have to travel to see a workspace?

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Hi diandwill!
Believe me, I would love to do it. But I don't drive, and don't want to deal with border crossings. There aren't any engraving classes here in Vancouver, but I've been very fortunate to meet with Su at her studio just this weekend, and it was extremely illuminating, the costs, tools and amazing art one can create.

I originally planned to get a a powered setup, but after studying Grabado Con Buril videos on youtube, I've decided to go the hand-push with h&c route.

For a start, I'll be getting a grs standard block, and the sharpening sets and hand push tools from Steve Lindsay's website. Currently have the Jewellery Engraver's Manual, and I'll see how I go from there :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

It really is up to you. If Su can answer all your questions and teach you the basics, you've got it handled. If she can't, you should take a class. There are engravers in Canada, but I don't know if they teach. It maybe possible to get Mr Cover there, but he may not want to deal with border crossings either...he will have all the tools needed for a class to learn, so much more to go through.

I don't know, or care, why you don't drive but there are taxi cabs, trains and planes that can deal with that. You may have to change your mind and cross the border.

I compare it, somewhat, to hitting your thumb with a hammer. No matter how many videos you watch, you may miss the simple trick that allows that to stop. An engraving class, with a qualified instructor, will show you that trick in the first 30 minutes and then you have the next 39 1/2 hours to progress.

It really is up to you, but the pain will continue until you take the steps to make it stop. A 1 week class will move you 4-5 years ahead of where you will get by trying to learn on your own and by yourself.

I wish you the best and will not bother you again.

Latest posts

Sponsors