A successful class

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This last week myself and two other engravers.(Eddy Martis & Russell Yates) taught a class in Tucumcari New Mexico.
We had some of the best students a guy could ask for.
The engraved plate with two of the same scrolls was engraved by Eddy and myself. This scroll is from the book that I wrote. I will make castings of this and send to the students.
The scrolls with the flower is from Samantha...an awesome student.
Russell did the flower inlay and also taught about some simple single wire inlays.

I will be selling castings of the first two engraved plates.
These are great tools for study... castings that I bought and continue to buy from other people have really helped me.
Shawn.

Attachments

• IMG_20160717_083539108.jpg
    IMG_20160717_083539108.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 290
  • FB_IMG_1468766282150.jpg
    FB_IMG_1468766282150.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 287
  • FB_IMG_1468766318330.jpg
    FB_IMG_1468766318330.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_20160715_091037126.jpg
    IMG_20160715_091037126.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Shawn Very nice and thanks to all for the effort...... What bit point did you use to get the round seed pods in the last plate? I have trouble cutting rounds like this.....

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some words that Manny G
wrote about the video that I made.
Thank you!

Shawn Didyoung’s Shading Video
I recently received a copy of Shawn Didyoung’s C.D. about shading. I watched it all the way through and determined it to be one of the finest and complete videos on shading. One of the more important features is that he tells you why he does what, and tells you at a predetermined pace that will allow your mind to process the information. This is beneficial in creating an intuitive mind set. He points out subtleties of line gradients, spacing’s, and positions that really bring the engraving to life like the best I have ever studied. As he executes shading and notices opportunities of primary cut enhancements as he progresses, he points those possibilities out and adjusts them to optimize the pattern. This style is extremely high class and could be used on Firearms and knives, Jewelry, and Western Silver products as well. It’s the “Real Dealâ€￾. Thank you Shawn for putting in a tremendous amount of effort to produce such an effective video. This C.D. will definitely establish itself in a status of being “A must haveâ€￾.
Manny Gonzales

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cool stuff- especially like the idea of putting more engravers into a situation where they spend less time doing things the wrong way.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Recently I attended a 2 day seminar in Pendelton, OR that both Russell Yates and Rex Pedersen were the instructors. Both were very personable, got to the point of instruction with just the right amount of discussion to keep everyone's attention. Very practical, informative and helpful at many different levels of engraving abilities. I recommend for those who have the opportunity to attend these kinds of seminars and classes. Thanks Russel and Rex.

Sponsors