Microscopes

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
I noticed that everyone use microscopes with eyepieces. Do engravers use digital microscopes with LED displays? I have a Nikon but I'm not use to the 2 eyepieces and I was thinking that a lcd display would be more comfortable and more familiar.

If not ........ Why

Thanks
Rick

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
If this is to succeed you will need a camera & display that will give you no lag.

With the regular oculars every thing is instant. With digital there is always a small delay. The trick is to get it low enough that you can work with it.

Maybe such a thing already exist. I ones saw a picture of a microscope with a screen instead of the oculars. I don't know if it was digital or just a big view ocular.

Also the times I have seen peoples TV screen connected to their Microscope the image was grainy and the colours where off. Not great to work from the screen. It was only for the customers to see the diamond setting being done.

Last edited:

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
The one I'm looking at is the Andonstar ADSM-201. It's inexpensive, and seems to do a lot. YouTube has a bunch of videos on it. It doesn't look like it has any delay but I sent an email asking about the lag.

Oh and the colors and focus seem to be pretty good

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
they lack depth, or 3-d as some call it. a binoccular scope allows one to appreciate the depth of cut being made. i have tried 3 different ones, and they were no asset to an engraver. cheap enough, but useless.
there is a scope called the "mantis". it might be useful, but the price would scare too much money out of the wallet!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk is correct. I've tried the Mantis style and it flat out doesn't work for me. With a normal stereo microscope you still are seeing in 3-D. With a video screen, it's like looking at a 2 dimensional photo. The video screens are fine for inspection type work, (that is what the Mantis was invented for) like microcircuit inspection etc. But learning how to manipulate tools and cutting benefits from stereo vision. Now, having said all that, surgeons have learned to do remarkably fine robotic surgery while only being able to watch through a 2 dimensional video screen. So I would expect that the skills needed to engrave while watching a screen could be learned. But, it remains a very poor substitute for a normal scope. I would opt for a good used scope off of ebay if finances are your concern.

Also, the Andostar ADSM 201 only has a maximum 15cm working distance, which is pretty cramped for engraving purposes.

Last edited:

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
I did it with a camera and a monitor. You could get magnification to no end but the 3D effect wasn't as good as a microscope.
Rod

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
2D vs 3D as Doc Mark pointed out. Will it work? Maybe, but I don't know anyone who works this way. That's not implying it won't work though. I've seen stonesetter Blaine Lewis watch the TV monitor when he sets stones when teaching, but he'll also tell you that when he's doing real work he doesn't do it that way.

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the input .......... I'm a total newbie and I'm used to watching the engraving videos which I guess are 2d .......... I'll have to play with practicing with my Nikon For awhile.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Monk is correct. I've tried the Mantis style and it flat out doesn't work for me. With a normal stereo microscope you still are seeing in 3-D. With a video screen, it's like looking at a 2 dimensional photo. The video screens are fine for inspection type work, (that is what the Mantis was invented for) like microcircuit inspection etc. But learning how to manipulate tools and cutting benefits from stereo vision. Now, having said all that, surgeons have learned to do remarkably fine robotic surgery while only being able to watch through a 2 dimensional video screen. So I would expect that the skills needed to engrave while watching a screen could be learned. But, it remains a very poor substitute for a normal scope. I would opt for a good used scope off of ebay if finances are your concern.

Also, the Andostar ADSM 201 only has a maximum 15cm working distance, which is pretty cramped for engraving purposes.

tyvm. i never looked thru a mantis. i mistakingly thought they were close to 3-d. i did get lucky enough to look thru the viewing system of a surgical manipulator. it was called a "davinci". spectacular 3-d, with an extreme dof. i drooled ! the guy said i could have it for a cool million bucks. shipping included.

Latest posts

Sponsors