Silentaire Super Silent 20a oil change.

Tim Young

I was changing the oil on my compressor today, and was using the method of tilting it up to drain through the filter tube in the back. After draining it I saw that there was a lot of sludge in the sight glass(I probably waited too long to change the oil). I removed the fitting containing the glass with a 1 1/16" deep well socket and realized I could drain the tank very easily in this manner. It will be my method of choice the next oil change. I hope this is not a redundant post and is a help to you all.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the tip Tim, I don't have a Silentaire but recently I picked up a second hand similar to them, I will check it out, I can not find any one selling the oil for it yet here in Australia :(.

Richard.

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
Great tip that. Hope I will remember it when the time comes to change the oil. :)

I just added some new oil a couple weeks ago. So I will check the manual when I need to do a complete renewal.

* EDIT:

Just checked the manual. Once a year the oil must be refreshed. Maybe with low usage you can go longer. I think the oil will not loose its properties when sitting idle. Under heat and pressure they might deteriorate.

Last edited:

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Did the fitting have a seal that might need replacement?

I recently purchased a pump so I could change my car oil through the dip stick hole. I'll have to try the pump on my Silentaire 20 when it needs an oil change.

Tim Young

Hey Bill, it does have an o-ring attached to it. It was in great condition, so I re-installed it. The body of the sight glass appears to be aluminum, so there may be a risk of cross threading it into the steel body of the compressor.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Galvanic reaction can be a problem in certain, some of which I know from personal experience. If threading dissimilar items into one another, wipe perfectly clean with alcohol or acetone, and brush on a thin coat of NEVER-SEEZ (also marketed under different labels) with observance or recalculated torque values (wet & dry torque) if applicable. This might seem to be unnecessary, but snap a few items off and see why prudence never hurts. This is especially true of brake cylinder bleed screws which are notorious for rust. Just apply to threads only. I saved myself a lot of misery with the right prep.

Latest posts

Sponsors