Trouble with [Chinese fake] gravermate

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with my Gravermate. I picked it up used about 2 years ago and finally got a compressor set up for it (5cfm@40psi, well above the minimum needed). I just can't seem to get it to operate properly. I have made sure the internal hoses on the rotary valve match the diagram in the manual, and I have followed the method of tuning that Sam wrote about - start at zero air pressure, turn it up slowly until the hand piece goes from vibrate to chatter to quiet. At this point when I press on the pedal the hand piece goes to a high vibrate level which barely lets it cut in on a copper plate. If I play with the air, I can get a little better action, but then the pedal doesn't have any effect. So far I have two guesses. The foot pedal leaks a lot of air from the get go so maybe it is out of alignment. Second, I don't know anything about the hand piece (pictured), maybe its actually for a gravermeister? If anyone can help, please do it soon, this is driving me up a wall.

Thanks,

Joe Paonessa

Attachments

• handpiece.jpg
    handpiece.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 481

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Joe,
I can't help you with the gravermate. But thats the same handpiece I use for my gravermax.
Good luck buddy.
Keith

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Put the piston in the handpiece with the spring down for a unit which operates on compressed air.
Gravermeister operates on vacuum - piston with spring up in handpeice. Don't know much about this handpiece. When you take it apart is it threaded? If it is threaded you can adjust the handpiece. Have the unit running and handpiece hooked up when you screw it together. You'll know when you have it right.

Roger

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Joe: That's a pretty old handpiece, but it should still work fine if everything's right with the 'Mate and assuming it's not a Gravermeister handpiece. Unfortunately I can't identify a Gravermeister handpiece, so you need to find out. If it is, it will not work on anything except a 'meister.

Pedals normally bleed a small amount of air, and if you're depressing a lot, getting a lot of air hiss and very little power, it's almost always because the pressure is set too high. Did you clean the handpiece thoroughly? My advice would be to get one of the newer generation handpieces. They have a much greater power range and have better performance than the older generation handpieces.

Give JB Taylor at Glendo a call and he can help you identify what you have and troubleshoot any problems.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Yup,

I cleaned the hand piece with typing paper and it was no help. I don't think I have the pressure too high because when I adjust for just past knocking in the hand piece I am in the 20 +-2psi range, which seems to be right according to the manual. I like the idea of getting a new hand piece and when the funds allow, will probably get the 901. Hey, I just thought of something. Is there anyone out there who has upgraded to the new foot pedal who would like to sell their old one? I really think my pedal is part of the problem, but I will call GRS on Monday and see what their tech support thinks.

Thanks for all your help, forum people!

Merry CHRISTmas

Joe Paonessa

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Good morning Joe,
I don't know if this will help but i have an old Gravermeister and when i got it the foot pedal was pretty dirty, i cleaned it with acetone where the air hose goes to the side of the pedal and my foot pedal has adjustment screws at the pivot point of the foot pedal. I messed with those to get it so when i pushed the peddle it had good contact
i also cut the tips off of all of my hoses and reattaches them to make sure i wasnt leaking air there
Hope this helps
Merry CHRISTmas
Dave
ps check you pm

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Woo Hoo!

Hi all,

I figured out what was wrong with my Gravermate. I had bought it in non-working condition as the previous owner had tried to rehose it and failed. I redid the hoses according to the owner's manual, but in the process, turned the valve body upside down. Unlike the Gravermax, the Gravermate has the valve mounted vertically with the body only sitting on the rotor and since it isn't marked for top and bottom, I naturally put it on wrong. Now with it in the right orientation, it fires up fine, although it does seem to need about 28 psi to run. Keith, is that about the pressure you use your hand piece at? Time to go play

Joe Paonessa

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Joe,
Had to fire up the compressor to check the pressure. It runs at 28 psi for that handpiece.
I did the turn the compressor up til it buzzes tuning thing and it started at 20 psi and stopped at 26.
Glad it worked for you, now have some fun.
Im carving a coin tonight, been a tough week and I need to relax.
Later,
Keith

mikemiller

Here is my problem with my GraverMate. I've adjusted and taken the pump portion apart looking for trouble. It could be missing a critical part on the pump shaft. [video]http://youtu.be/jzYSycVrrAQ[/video] (Post#2)

Sam

Staff member
That's not a GRS foot pedal. I'm not saying it won't work because I don't know if it will or not. They'll be happy to help you sort this out. 800-835-3519.

mikemiller

Here I've taken apart the pump portion. [video]http://youtu.be/sznRsDUMl5Q[/video]
I would rather fix this instead of sending it back. I was suspicious of the pedal but the pump itself does not seem to do anything. It should hiss, leak fart or something!
Thank you for the phone number. I'll try that here in a few minutes.
Mike

Sam

Staff member
It's not a pump. It's a rotary valve. It spins and delivers air pulses to the handpiece. The first thing I would do is get a proper foot pedal. You may not need to send anything back.

mikemiller

Pedal

Is this the unit you would suggest? http://www.grstools.com/system-upgrades/004-519PRO.html

guzzi

Part # is 004-519 Foot Pedal Assembly. Be sure to ask for a new hose to go with it, sometimes that gets missed by Sales on the order. jb

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike Miller,
I just looked at the videos. The key thing missing from your set up is an air compressor. The Gravermate does not make air, it regulates it.
You commented on Chinese... That is the other issue. That is not a GRS product but in fact a Chinese knock off. The fittings, foot pedal, QC fittings and hand piece are the tip off.
All that said, it may work with an air compressor attached but just so you know, it isn't a real GRS product.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
This started out as legitimate questions by Joe Paonessa about his Gravermate, and has taken a turn into troubleshooting a Chinese fake Gravermate.

Mike: You're not the first one who has been stung buying that phony piece of junk.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Joe,
Even if it works with the air compressor attached like Rex said. You will still need to change the pedal I am sure. That is a standard pneumatic pedal and will basically turn it on or off suddenly. The GRS pedal will let the air exhaust slowly letting the tool run more smoothly then it probably will with the foot pedal it came with.

Chris

Latest posts

Sponsors