Antique Find

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
I was browsing through an antique shop today and my son found a 1984 Gun Digest he wanted because he liked all the guns in it. I flipped through it and found this, thought it was pretty neat.....

gun digest 1984 001.jpg gun digest 1984 II 001.jpg gun digest 1984 III 001.jpg

P.S. Just because the book was in an Antique store does not make those Engravers in it antiques ;)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i had that edition until last year, but it didn't survive the move!

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
I recognize several names but many I do not, have met only one... would liked to have met them all.

1984??? ANTIQUE?????????????? That was just yesterday!!!!!!!

Seems like it... your only as old as you think you are unless of course you have the Benjamin Button Syndrome then no worries.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes, a trip down the lane. i met a few on the phone. sadly, never able to meet them in real time.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I count myself lucky to have met five of those guys, and received good advice and feedback. Founding members of FEGA probably know most of them.

Gun Digest was my first introduction to firearms engraving.

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thats quite a find.
What a collection, from HH Frank- through Bee, Lundsay, Francolin and Bleile, taking up the tail end at the bottom of the page!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
My first introduction to Gun Digest was in late 1972 when a fellow employee drop a copy of it on the table where I was having lunch and said JJ I know you like guns maybe you like this,well I stared to look through it and came across an article by John Amber on gun engraver Arnold Grirbel 1890-1970 a two page obituary with pictures of his engraving. First thought was wow next was an ad in a hunting magazine on outdoor books and there it was The Art of Engraving by James B. Meek,I sent off a check for $19.95 and two weeks later I had it in my hands and I could'nt put it down,even took it to work to read I was on my way.In 1972 there were 52 engravers listed in the digests directory. I got to thank Mr.Meek for writing the book and thank Bob Bronwell for publishing the book and also thank John Amber for his many article on the art. J.J.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I met most of them at one time or another, but there are a few I don't know. Harvey McBurnette was a great friend and died much too early. Henry Frank is still going strong as far as I know, and his knives are legendary. And Prudhomme...a fellow Louisiana engraver who really helped me in the beginning. Some great names listed.

Latest posts

Sponsors