New member introduction

Mnavarro

Hello my name is mike and I am a total newbie when it comes to engraving. I do have some artistic talent so I think that might help me out. I been making knives as a hobby for 2 years now and it has been a great journey of trial and error. Nonetheless I continue to learn new things on a daily basis. I am currently looking at a gravermiester, what are your opinions on this setup? Any suggestions?
Thanks

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike,

I lived in Santa Maria, CA when I began to learn engraving. I used a 'Meister for about 30 years but because of its limitations, I did most of my shading with a burin. I still have the 'Meister I bought from Don Glaser in 1978 and occasionally use it for a few tasks. The old 'Meister is a very durable and reliable tool but you have to get used to hearing the motor running constantly, especially if you are a full time engraver.

Mnavarro

Wow no way what a small world. I did not think I would find anyone that would know where santa maria is, or even better live here at one point. I am still looking at an older gravermiester. The other units like the gravermax unit that need a compressor are intimidating to me. If I get the gravermiester for the right price I will let you guys know. I will have to look into the burin you are talking about.
Thanks

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Welcome to the Cafe. :tiphat:

In my opinion there are better pneumatic equipment choices than the Gravermeister. The newer generation machines from GRS are smoother, quieter, better, and far more versatile.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. the limitations of a gravermeister will be far down the road. as mentioned, fine shading is better done by pushing. you've already learned many of the disciplines of metal working. surely an interest in art will be a blessing. don't be in a hurry to spend money. wade thru the tip section. such will give you an idea of the things you will want to learn. get a box of ticonderogas. not cigars, but pencils. enjoy !!

Mnavarro

Thanks for all the great feed back. For the moment I think I am going to purchase some hand gravers and a vice. I need to become more familiar with engraving and the different systems that are out there. Thanks again for all your guy's help

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
welcome to the forum and good luck with your endeavor, it will be a worth while journey. But as monk suggested read through the tips archive and do your research before purchasing major equipment, taking a class in engraving will introduce you to the art and most of the time they will have more than one system to try. Good luck and welcome to the Family

~Omar

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks for all the great feed back. For the moment I think I am going to purchase some hand gravers and a vice. I need to become more familiar with engraving and the different systems that are out there. Thanks again for all your guy's help
there's lots of old gravers on the bay. they would serve well for practice on brass, copper, and such. some may work on steel, but maybe not. also check out the "for sale" section here on the forum

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Mike,

Welcome! I am not too far down the road from you. Let me know if I can help you out as you start your journey.

Mnavarro

Thanks. Your work is great. I am going to have to get in contact with you as soon as a get some of my supplies. I just purchased a few hand gravers and I am looking at a vise as well.

Latest posts

Sponsors