Question: Is an FFL needed to engrave firearms?

gazzman151

I am starting to engrave firearms, & I don't want to have to purchase every firearm I engrave. Do I need a FFL to engrave someone's firearm for profit?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes. If you keep the serial numbered part (frame) of a customer's gun over 24hrs an FFL is required.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Normally an engraver would need just the O1 type (Dealer) if engraving is all that is being done to the serial numbered part of the firearm.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The best thing you can do is call the ATF and they will answer all of your questions. They have always been pleasant in this regard as well. Very helpful folks.

paintedman

I am a 07 sot cost the same ...You just can do more with it ,but first you must be zoned for the ffl where your shop is. It needs to be light industrial(07) verse retail (01) and the BATFE must approve the location, prove you have proper zone for type of lisc and will also want your state sales tax cert. this is how it went when i applyed but heres the jist
FFL_01 sell and transfer = $150 every 3 years add SOT tax of 500 year and you can sell NFA verses the O7 witch opens the doors a little more
FFL 07 =manufacture fire arms sell and transfer same price $150 difference is if you can make a 1911 or firearm (and/or sell NFA guns if you pay a SOT 500 a year)

I will touch base with my ATF examiner and see if you can still get a home based ffl if your engraving as im moving soon and will have to do so any way and repost after i talk to him

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i had one that was home-based. i could ship, receive, as well as keep them on site. i never sold or did transfers. had no interest in that. at the behest of the agent with whom i talked, i made and installed a wrought iron gate to provide security to the work area. i also was asked to insure that the room couldn't be seen from the street. i was glad to comply.

paintedman

k spoke with my examiner yesterday the trick is the zoning they still do kitchen table FFLs but the way you are zoned plays into it if you are not in the right zoning you have to get a variance when i move i will try for a 07 mfg lisc that way i can do marking work for other mfgs And build custom 1911s they stopedhome ffls in the 80,s but he said they will once agian issue home ffls due to the internet sales.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I have an FFL and work out of my home I don't do transfers,buy or sell guns just engrave guns,restore guns and teach engraving.The last time I an FFL examiner checking my books was in 2011 she ask me about me doing hot bluing and how far are you from a school and I told her the school bus comes through around 7 am the school is more then 1000 feet from my home and a gunsmith in town take care of my bluing. J.J.