Sketch

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi all,
Just a sketch for a buttplate I've been asked to do. The rifle is a benchrest gun and the cross section of the stock is diamond shaped, thus a diamond shaped buttplate. Been toying with this for a while, and something just doesn't seem right (well I'm sure there's lots that's not correct), maybe it's the big leaf at the bottom. I tried putting another scroll in there but I just didn't like that either. Any thoughts are appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_2034.jpg
    IMG_2034.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 108

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I'm on page 56 of Ron Smiths '' Advanced drawing of scrolls '' book. So, let me take a stab at it.
I see the background is about even and uniform throughout the design so that's good. Where the scrolls cross I see an X like '' X marks the spot'' that was mentioned in the book. I think more shading around that area would diminish that. The scroll ends need more shading so they don't stand out quite so much, they sort of glare out right now. The top scroll should be a bit smaller . The two most top scrolls are about the same size making the top look a little stagnant with no flow of the design. And finally, the two leaves directly under the second from top scroll form a sort of heart shape .I think one should be a bit smaller or larger.
Now, that's my evaluation of your design, please take with a grain of salt. I would be interested in knowing what some experienced engravers think about your design and my evaluation. I just took this chance to see if I've learned anything. Thank you for posting.

Sponsors