gun of a 100 mistakes

paintedman

Is it me or is every body critical of there work.Seems i have yet to like what i have cut
this is my latest attempt at a hand gun... i stopped counting at 100 mistakes or areas i did not like before i made the grips. so far i have had one 3 day class & a year of cutting to get to this point . I look at folks like phil coogan and some of the others quality engraving being done there... and know i have a long way to go but just dont seem to be happy with my work is this common with our ilk ? Im running out of my own guns to cut on and hesitate to do other folks toys

Andrew Biggs

Only one hundred mistakes.........When you have reached one million mistakes then you will have passed your apprenticeship. :)

Welcome to the forum.

We are all critical of our own work and never seem to be satisfied. There is always something that could be better or done differently.........better that than seeing perfection in everything that you do. That path leads to failure.

Keep the faith, enjoy what you are doing and learn a bit more every day and make the most of your mistakes because they are a great learning tool. Just do the best you can on the day and you'll be just fine :)

I like your basket weave pattern.

Cheers
Andrew

paintedman

Thanks for the imput sir. Ive been reading and lurking here about a year and figure at least annother 30 or so to learn before im icapable of any thing but drooling so intend to pick up as much as i can before i forgret it ...lol. Should have done this in the 70s

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Nice basketweave you've done there. I really like that. The photos aren't close enough or clear enough to show any mistakes, but your graver work looks pretty good on my monitor. The weakest part is the scroll design. That definitely needs refinement. You have the cutting part down pretty well.

And welcome to the Cafe. :tiphat:

paintedman

Thanks Sam i expect that to improve that after the 24th of July i watched your video again and did a knife the next morning , noticible differance over night my wife couldnt get over it ... By the way i did this gun before watching the vid should have watched it first

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I think your biggest mistake is being too critical of yourself. I see mistakes in everything I do from engraving to painting the kitchen wall. I don't point them out to people but, I remember them and see them every time I look at the project.
I don't know what the girl and the cat have to do with the pattern but I love the basket weave with scrolls. I can see you have lots of patience. Thanks for posting.

paintedman

speedy6 The girl and the cat were just portraits to practice . I think i have about 30 hrs total in the engraving and 3 hrs in the grips short attention span i guess . I have been watching the boards and reading all i can but cant seem to like my own stuff too picky i guess ... never been abile to tone that down but glad to see its not uncomon for engravers to feel that way.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have one of those multi mistake guns myself, my first attempt at a pistol. It's in the bottom of a box where nobody will see it. Someday I'll buy a forge and an anvil and turn that thing into a horse shoe!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
oil painters, sculptors, stone and wood carvers, in general, the efforts of creative people are seldom viewed with realistic eyes by those doing such work. you gun looks quite nice.

Latest posts

Sponsors