Looking for direction for carving coins

Lovage

I am completely lost lol. There is so much information on engraving that I don't know what I am doing or looking at lol.

I am looking to learn to carve coins, hobo nickels ect, but I am having troubles finding out exactly what I need for beginning equipment and for techniques. I have zero experience and my art skill is quite under developed.

Currently I fabricate coin rings and would like to expand into more crafted things. The coin carving has caught my fancy. I am also very curious as how to add gold and other colored metals to my rings.

Any direction to any informations that can help me is much better than fumbling around posts that I do not understand the basics of yet. Maybe even someone wants a chance to have an understudy

Thank you all in advance for your time

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
I learned what little I know from the engraving forums. I started with a few cheap hand push gravers and as questions would come up, I would ask... and I'm still asking. ...but it's mainly trial and error.

Here is the beginning to a series of videos from MrThe on carving a nickel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6THFFJi5D2I

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a good scope is an asset for doing these. standard gravers tend to be too large to be practical. you'll likely learn to make your own from discarded dental burrs and such. steve ellsworth made an excellent tutorial on hobos. it can be found on steve lindsays' engraving forum. as for inlaying gold, standard techniques work, but at a much smaller scale. you better become fast friends with the tips section.

Latest posts

Sponsors