Critique Request Maori Inspired Remington 870 Concept - Viable?

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Hello All
I’m hoping a few will help me calibrate my eyes on this.
I’ve attached a sketch of a concept for a Remington 870 I’d really appreciate some big picture feedback on.

My Background:
I’m a complete novice and won’t be putting a graver to a gun, I’m fairly certain, for a couple of years. Nevertheless I’m trying to develop ideas and a feel for how designs work. The first gun I’m likely to engrave is a Remington 870 Express Magnum that I own. It is a relatively cheap simple gun so there’s less risk when I start hacking at it . My “blank†English doubles will wait. I find it best to draw up ideas and put them away for a few months before looking at them again. I see how flawed they are more readily then and sometimes where to change things. What I lack though is a good feel for how a drawing is likely to translate into cut metal, both with regards to texture and impact of the scale of elements. That’s what I’m particularly hoping for input on. Of course all comments are welcome.

The Specific Design Thinking:
To me the biggest design issue I want to address on the 870 is the huge ejector port which is around 3 ½ inches long (almost 9 cm to everyone else). I don’t like seeing obvious features like that “ignored†on the examples of engraved 870s I’ve looked at. The other thing that strikes me about the 870, other than its large area is its simple, minimalist form. To me that makes relatively ornate engraving look out of place. There’s no way I’m going to cover an 870 with English scrolls :) . So I’ve been toying with how to incorporate the ejector port into “simple†engraving on a large scale.

Maybe it’s too much time on the rugby pitch, or more likely seeing too many All Blacks' hakas, but it came to me that one way of dealing with both of these would be a Maori tattoo face with associated Maori design elements. I’ve always liked Polynesian, Pacific Northwest, and Celtic art forms and the “simple†forms seem to fit the bill. What I’ve come up with is an open mouthed Maori “war face†incorporating the ejector port paired next to what I think is a “manaia†I more or less copied from one of the panels of the Motuni Epa. To blend the two I’ve tried a fern/scroll background “anchored†on an emblematic hook. The border is a double border based on what I understand are typical Maori elements.

I’ve drawn this through its various iterations using a fine pen to mimic as closely as possible the actual cuts.
Particular Concerns

Does the overall design look reasonable?

Does this scale of the elements look like it would work? Over iterations I’ve reduced a number of elements to their current size but I don’t think I can get them any smaller if I want to balance the face which is driven by the ejector port.

At this size will the finer engraving detailing the larger elements work as “shading� My thinking is to reblack the action after engraving but polish the surface to reveal the uncut portions as bare metal (the white bits in the drawing). The serial number and Remington stamping would be left blacked over.

In order to fit the eyes above the open mouth of the ejector port there is no space for the front border on the actual action of the gun. The border here has to drop down to the tube/barrel so there will be more of a three dimensional break than is apparent from the sketch. I think this still works though.

Any other comments are quite welcome. For example there is a lot of room for improvement on the detailed form of the fern/scroll heads.

Thanks
Jeremy

Attachments

• maori 870 sketch.jpg
    maori 870 sketch.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 392

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jeremy,Have you ever engraved a gun before?you need to get with an engraver who can guide you and give you some help. J.J.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jeremy

I can see what you are trying to do but it doesn't work.

You have quite a few design issues with this.

The wood panel you have copied from doesn't serve you well. You would be far better off using better reference material. The human like form when carving is called tiki. Not to be confused with hei tiki which is a pendant worn around the neck with it's own distinctive character.

The scroll patterns are called kowhaiwhai. They are patterns normally seen in the ceilings/walls of meeting houses. The colours used were red, black and white. They also tend to be random.........but be very careful with that as architecture design and engraving design are two totally different things.

Your kowhaiwhai need a lot more work done to them as the pattern they are producing is totally random which may have been great in a primitive form but not by todays standards. Basically when you are doing this type of work you are creating patterns within patterns. You need to tighten everything up and not have so much open space. The lines you have as background will not serve as shading and will look just like they do now.

The ejector port area looks totally different from everything else and is rather crude by comparison. I'm not sure what the face is but it's not Maori.

Like everything, the devil is in the detail. That can make or break your work. When designing this type of work always get your force lines/main lines in place first. That includes the kowhaiwhai patterns. (Same as scrollwork, draw the scrolls first)............look at the overall flow of the pattern/design. Are you seeing shapes that shouldn't be there? When making patterns be very careful about symmetry and sub patterns.

To help you understand better I would suggest that you google image these subjects. Whakairo (Maori carving) Moko (Maori tattoo) Kowhaiwhai (paintings) Refine your search to large images so you can see the actual detail.

If you want to take it further then I would highly recommend the book Te Toi Whakairo. The Art of Maori Carving. by Hirini Moko Mead he will guide you to a greater understanding of your subject matter. I'm pretty sure you can buy it from Amazon.com

You are on a good path and good on you for trying. You just need to understand your subject matter better and take it to a better level with more refinement :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hello Jeremy,
Andrew gave you some great advise. He is a Master at depicting the S. Pacific/Maori artform and image on modern accoutrements.

I love your basic idea of incorporating the ejection port of the Model 870 to depict the Maori open mouth, tongue display and it is great that you are researching your design ideas before rushing into cutting them on your very nice Remington.
it may not be the fanciest gun in the world but it will become a lifetime family treasure with your artwork.

May I offer you this suggestion.
A firearm is usually viewed from a horizontal perspective and the open mouth,eyes,nose and face will be more easily recognized in that form. Also, the Maroi open mouth is usually shown as a broad mouth with a wide tongue.
Staying with your original idea of the ejection port as the mouth please try a drawing the face, eyes and nose above the ejection port, interrupting the border and a nice broad tongue below the port/mouth. This will also allow you to show lips surrounding the mouth and further add a clear read on your unique engraving idea. I think you may find it works better.
Best wishes for a successful and happy engraving journey.
John B.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
All
My apologies if this appears to be a duplicate or triplicate; for some reason my prior replies on this thread don’t appear to have made it through.
JJ,
No I haven’t engraved a gun before and won’t be for quite some time while I practice basic skills. Unfortunately there’ s apparently no local reasource to latch onto, even assuming someone would have the time for that. I also work full time so only squeeze my efforts into spare time. Thanks for the thoughts.
Andrew,
Thank you very much for the time to make such an informative reply. I greatly appreciate it. Yes the concept needs major maturation and modification if it is even viable at allFor now the idea goes into my “manure” files, if, unlike most of my conceptual doodles (I hesitate to even call them drawings), it ends up showing signs of producing some growth when next checked I’ll definitely take your comments into consideration. Interesting that you remarked on the random nature of elements as that was deliberate on my part, even if not successful.
John B
Thanks also for your comments. I’ll ponder the re-orientation you suggest and agree with the desirability of orienting to the typical view, but I found the elongated orientation better for the ideas I was (am??) trying to incorporate. I agree in the merits of doodling out ideas before ruining metal. I have an awful lot of doodling to do here if I pursue it.
I think one of the next steps is more general practice on plates of some of the basic types of cuts to see what actually works. For example, I’m also very interested in the so called “Celtic” tendrils on guns retailed by the likes of W.R. Pape which are very similar. I need to experiment with how background on those is achieved and what variations might work.
Thanks all for the time and helpful input.
Jeremy

monk

Staff member
i know little of the maori culture. but i would guess such an undertaking tells a "story". not placing the elements where they belong would be like doing a story with the wrong words. i applaud you efforts, but you have a long road ahead. just make sure to enjoy it.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Monk
I think quite true that the more integrated the images the better the engraving.
My preliminary thinking after getting the idea was to combine an “earthlyâ€￾ maori face -(inspiration from the following website: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/world/rare-photos-to-return-nz-photographers-family-after-uk-auction ) with a spiritual image. Clearly more research needed on that front  FWIW I came across some elements on the border, tattoo and so forth here (http://www.zealandtattoo.co.nz/tattoo-styles/maori-tattoos/ As you and others point out – much more pondering and investigation needed if pursued. I still see the biggest “technicalâ€￾ problem would be how to portray the tattooing style elements in a robust way.
Thanks
Jeremy

monk

Staff member
well, if doing this strictly for yourself, it probablly matters little. but to me, if you're trying to do a "theme" sort of work, best to stick with the rules. those that don't know the rules will surely like it. those that do know what they're looking at, will appreciate it all the more.

Latest posts

Sponsors