Black leaf

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Blackleaf has always been one of my favorite styles of leaf engraving. Yours is nicely done with just enough uniqueness to make it yours. Well done!
Layne

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Shawn, thanks for the link to the Collection of the British Museum!
Excellent, high resolution scans. They even have a print of an ornamental pattern that I haven´t seen before.
Best wishes,
Martin

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'd like to add one thing about Churchll's work in this style. Yes he's great and it's perfectly shaded and executed, but something that separates Churchill from the rest is that his design is unpredictable. We see so many attempts at this style with repeating the same shape over and over and over, but Churchill is never guilty of that. He has an uncanny ability to place the perfect shape where it is needed, and it comes from his great artistic sensibilities and having a vast mental library of shapes to choose from.

The same can be said for Martin Strolz's work, Sam Welch's scroll, Coggan's great work, Lovenberg's, and other engravers as well. Work of this caliber can't be appreciated in a 5 minute study. To truly appreciate the genius behind it we have to study each leaf and stem and imagine the designer with his/her pencil working to fill spaces, maintaining balance, while making it beautiful and interesting. There's so much to see if we just take the time, and we're cheating ourselves if we don't.

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
I see Wilson Capron doing a lot of this leaf style. I'm constantly looking his work over studying it. Looks like you e got a pretty good grip on it Mr. Didyoung.

Latest posts

Sponsors