What is the best head strap magnifier

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I have used an Optivisor for many years (No. 10 lens). I did try another before switching and switched because the lenses were plastic and subject to scratching easily. I suppose any with glass lenses would be about the same but my experience is with Optivisor and could not be happier.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
I have used an Optivisor for many years (No. 10 lens). I did try another before switching and switched because the lenses were plastic and subject to scratching easily. I suppose any with glass lenses would be about the same but my experience is with Optivisor and could not be happier.

I'm looking into this as well, and from what I can see online, the #10 lens is 3.5 Magnification, and has a focal length of only 4"... do you find having to work that close to the piece to be problematic, or can you work further back from the engraving? I've been using a scope, but I think an optivisor may have its benefits, and I want to make sure I get the right lens before giving it a try.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I have two Optivisors, and different glass lenses of which I don't remember the power of. Glass is the only way to go. They've not come up with a hard coating, yet, compatible with polycarbonate that works as scratch resistant, for the long term. Plastic is cheaper, but worthless. . .you don't need shatter resistance, at the bench. Maybe, someday, coatings will improve. So far, they haven't, so I stick with glass.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think I have 4 sets of Optivisors and they are the standard of the jewelry industry. I also have a MegaView headset magnifier and it's fantastic. It's big and really bright and comes with three lenses. It's also very sharp. It's my favorite and I use it with the 2x lens when working on watches and it's a very comfortable magnification. When I need more power I use an Optivisor with #10 lens but it has a much shorter working distance. I find it easier to grab another headset magnifier than to swap lenses in the MegaView.

https://www.riogrande.com/Product/megaview-magnifier-headset-with-three-lenses/115717

SamW

Mike, I have my vise set higher than most engravers which allows me to sit upright and comfortably with feet propped up and a good back support on my work stool. My vise is also set on a slightly angled platform which helps to not bend my neck very much. As some have said, watching me work at the GRS Lovenberg class, I like to get right into my work. Every one else was using a 'scope but GRS had set my work station to match what I have at home and it worked wonderfully.

The lenses of the Optivisor are diopter values, like reading glasses. They do not magnify but rather allow closer focusing.

I have been using my bench setup for a good 35 years and it has not been a back or neck problem for me.

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,

Could you post a few pictures of your setup? I'm about to reconfigure my work area and yours sounds great, most of my work is on smallish pieces.

Brant

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought an Optivisor in 1978 and have used it continually with a #10 lens. My scope is for detail work as I can't quite get the hang of using it for normal work. My vise is also set higher than most.

SamW

Brant, here it is. The lighting is a 3 bulb 4 foot fluorescent light fixture about 2 1/2 feet above and 1/2 a foot behind the vise.

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 163

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, I have my vise set higher than most engravers which allows me to sit upright and comfortably with feet propped up and a good back support on my work stool. My vise is also set on a slightly angled platform which helps to not bend my neck very much. As some have said, watching me work at the GRS Lovenberg class, I like to get right into my work. Every one else was using a 'scope but GRS had set my work station to match what I have at home and it worked wonderfully.

The lenses of the Optivisor are diopter values, like reading glasses. They do not magnify but rather allow closer focusing.

I have been using my bench setup for a good 35 years and it has not been a back or neck problem for me.

I bought an Optivisor in 1978 and have used it continually with a #10 lens. My scope is for detail work as I can't quite get the hang of using it for normal work. My vise is also set higher than most.

This is really useful information, thanks guys!

Big-Un... I think you and I might be twins....

SamW

Hey Omar, the block of wood is made from a thick board of hard maple. You can see on the side where I have stropped tool points for 35 or more years to clean any burs left from sharpening...looks like it will easily outlast me. While my right foot is on the throttle set on a small stool, my left foot rests on a "My Buddy" tackle box that dates from my middle teens.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
While my right foot is on the throttle set on a small stool, my left foot rests on a "My Buddy" tackle box

Ah ha! I knew it! The secret it out! All this time you claimed not to have any secret engraving processes and today we find out you rest your left foot on a tackle box!

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Omar, the block of wood is made from a thick board of hard maple. You can see on the side where I have stropped tool points for 35 or more years to clean any burs left from sharpening...looks like it will easily outlast me. While my right foot is on the throttle set on a small stool, my left foot rests on a "My Buddy" tackle box that dates from my middle teens.

I like the simplicity of your setup, goes to show that beautiful work such as yours can be achieved by a modest setup

thanks so much for sharing that with us Sam, and I hope you have many more years of beautiful engraving to come off your vice

Latest posts

Sponsors