Good font for inside ring engraving??

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Hoping that some of you ring engravers could share which type/style of font you use for inside ring engraving. I have a series of capital letter to engrave inside a ring that need to be slanted script style. I can hand draw them but thought that some of you might know of a font I can pattern after that would make the engraving a bit easier than some of the more complicated script fonts. Thanks in advance for any ideas you might put forth! ~David

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Mike dubber has a video on you tube about that on inside ring engraving, using a new jig
if I find it I will post it

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Mike dubber has a video on you tube about that on inside ring engraving, using a new jig
if I find it I will post it

Yes, I have seen that and it is a good video. Mike mentions in that video that he uses a generic script for lettering inside rings. I was hoping to find a font that would come close to the way he draws the letters. I am not as good an artist and having a font like that I could look at would help me.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Rod, I appreciate that! I kind of came up with my own version for this job but I will ask Andrew for a copy of his hi res file for next time.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Engravers script is the most used lettering for inside rings and nearly everything else.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
"Engravers script is the most used lettering for inside rings and nearly everything else."

Thanks Sam. When I had my class with you several years ago you mentioned that Palace Script was the closest thing to Engravers Script. I still refer to the handout sheet you gave me on lettering. I have been using Palace and also Edwardian Script for most of my script lettering. On this particular job I just did not care for some of the Palace cap letters that I needed to use inside the ring. I have never seen an actual computer font for Engravers Script but that is fine. I hand letter when I need to but I also do digital layout. BTW, the ring came out pretty good and I ended up using a modified Vanessa font.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David-

in case this isn't obvious, or perhaps isn't mentioned in any of the cited source material, script lettering is generally easier to do inside a ring because it's almost entirely comprised of slanted lines, to varying degrees. any sort of Roman based type will have a lot of horizontal lines -not just serifs- that are a b**** to cut. the fewer lines you have to cut parallel to the edge of the 'cylinder', the happier you'll be. somebody else could probably do a better job explaining this, but the concept will be clear to anyone who's done much ring engraving.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
David-

in case this isn't obvious, or perhaps isn't mentioned in any of the cited source material, script lettering is generally easier to do inside a ring because it's almost entirely comprised of slanted lines, to varying degrees. any sort of Roman based type will have a lot of horizontal lines -not just serifs- that are a b**** to cut. the fewer lines you have to cut parallel to the edge of the 'cylinder', the happier you'll be. somebody else could probably do a better job explaining this, but the concept will be clear to anyone who's done much ring engraving.

Thanks Mitch and you are sooooo right about the concept becoming very clear once you start engraving inside rings! Even the slanted script has some very challenging cuts. I have only done a half dozen inside ring jobs but I did put in some good practice on a bunch of brass rings. There is a lot more than meets the eye to inside ring engraving!