Precise layout?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
churchill_drawing_engraving.jpg

I'm all about precise lines when I do my layouts, but Churchill isn't. For the life of me I don't know how he renders such amazing engravings from such a coarse layout, but he does.

I instruct students to be very precise with layouts so there are no surprises, but this photo shows that at least one engraver doesn't find it necessary.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,I always admired Winston's engraving,he is a artist with an eye for detail.:thumbsup: J.J.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
I think Sam some people can picture the scene exactly in there mind and all he needs is a rough outline to execute what he sees in his mind. Beautiful engraving
thank for sharing it Sam... but I think I am one who needs as much detail as possible.. LoL

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You know, Winston actually engraves with his eyes closed.
Uses the force he does!

WL

Just kidding of course but, then again: he probably could!!

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
I second Weldons suggestion..... and omar..... skill executed without visible effort, and likely a stash of light gravers.

I know on simpler projects I now need less detail for my layout, but at my current rate, ill get to his level in my 2nd lifetime.

I'm guessing that he can do such rough layouts because he has spent so much time not only with gravers, but with PENCILS. combine this with his skill with sculptures, and he just knows where the lines go before even drawing them.

thank you sam for this window into the process of yet another of the worlds great engravers.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
As an absolute beginner in engraving, but a long time appreciator of art, I can see how Sam and Winston's finished work simply "feels" different when its looked at. And that difference becomes VERY apparent when seeing these photos.

Sam's work IS crisp and really well defined, there is a perfection in the precision. I wouldn't use the term "well-rehearsed" though some might call it that. I think it's better defined as being "purposeful" in the execution.

By contrast, Winston's work feels more serendipitous. The general layout is defined in the space it will occupy, but to me, it feels more organic. As though it is being channeled instead of being planned. The image appears as it is being executed. The work flows freely. It has a life to it.

I am NOT saying that Sams work has no life, as it most certainly does, but it's like comparing A free style life to a more corporate one maybe. I really love both styles, but they are clearly different in the final outcome. Both are equally amazing, in very different ways.

As I said, I'm not by any means an accomplished engraver, I brutalize metal at this point. But I'm a lover of fine art and a huge fan of fine craftsmanship, I loved seeing this insight into Winston's work.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Winston's work, especially his various styles of scroll design, has always had a certain ineffable quality. Like it grew naturally, and comfortably, inside the space, rather than being imposed within artificial boundaries. There's never a kinked vine, a cramped leaf, a crowded petal. I could name other engravers whose work is cut with machine precision, but it's cold, sterile and invariably looks like it was jammed into its panel with a tiny crowbar. Winston's is, to my mind, the ideal combination of sufficiently precise technical execution and loose, almost impressionistic, design. Damien Connolly is another who excels at this.

I can spend hours with a pencil (and eraser!) trying to achieve the same effect, which 'seems' to come so effortlessly to him. I say, 'seems' because for all I know he may agonize over layouts, too, but the end results somehow never look over-engineered. Sometimes I feel like a musician (ever notice how many musical analogies we make describing our work?) who, with lots of practice, can play the notes I've laboriously composed on the sheet music, but can only marvel in awe at the few who can pick up an instrument and 'wing it' better than my best efforts.

I've also long suspected Winston may not actually be human... :thinking:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You know, Winston actually engraves with his eyes closed.
Uses the force he does!

WL

Just kidding of course but, then again: he probably could!!

i was thinking more like the Pinball Wizard...

bcnew

I am brand new as of today, have yet to make a scratch, but will as I study more and understand the issues. But I did have an idea as an observation.

Tool creation is endemic to the profession/hobby. So the question is how does one get highly precise tools in the modern age?
Besides hand work I thought perhaps this would work:

1. use your computer to design the tool as you would a artistic graphic, however the computer can make the end piece as narrow or intricate as can be made.

2. Print out the tool using a 3 d printer in one of two ways:

a. A hard form material (a plastic) to use a pantograph on a mill. or
b. use a metal 3 d printer.

Above may just get some interesting results for unique tool ends at an attractive price for those who use the services of a 3d printer pattern maker....

just a thought,,,,

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
image.jpg

Nicely stated Mitch. Here's a bit of Churchill eye candy for you. A little present from him a few weeks ago.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Matthew: I took a class back in 2005 from Winston at GRS, which included sculpting metal. His philosophy is to move, not remove metal, because if you take too much metal off while sculpting you can't put it back on. I still have the sculpting punches that we had to make ourselves, as in heat treat. They still work after 10 years, and I also used them in a class I took from Alain Lovenberg in 2012. Come to think of it I used them in 2008 in a class I took from Phillip Griffne also.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When i was with Tim and Sam and Winston at Churchills class in Emporia, i watched Churchill work. To me it seemed quite apparent that his talent is less talent than a sort of integrity. It seems to me we all see what he sees, but most of us let it slip by.
Churchill does not let it slip by. He sees, notices, and corrects, then moves on.
Most of us just see and move on.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
I love this thread! This is the sort of thing that can inspire us all to share thoughts and learn from observations!
I'm glad I'm here as I learn this craft.

JJ Roberts

When i was with Tim and Sam and Winston at Churchills class in Emporia, i watched Churchill work. To me it seemed quite apparent that his talent is less talent than a sort of integrity. It seems to me we all see what he sees, but most of us let it slip by.
Churchill does not let it slip by. He sees, notices, and corrects, then moves on.
Most of us just see and move on.

Barry,He see,notices,and corrects,is this because Winston draws directly on what he is going to engrave? J.J.

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Sam, I cannot tell from the first photo for sure...is that a pencil sketch? And does he cut directly from that sketch? If so, then "beauty" certainly is in the eye of the "beholder"( in this case Winston) and he sees much more than the rest of us. I like the comment about organic. It certainly has life!

Latest posts

Sponsors