Critique Request drawings Any better ?

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Indy, Very nice design. I have a suggestion for you. Place a piece of tracing paper over the top of this drawing.. Using a .03 or at the largest a .05 black pen and trace the drawing only on the side of the line you are going to cut on. You will find that it makes a huge difference. Remember that your cuts are going to be much smaller than your drawn line or wider if you roll your tool.

Take a look down the right side of this sample. Look what happens to the size of the object if you cut on the outside of the line or the inside of the same side line. remember the cut becomes part of the background so you have to decide beforehand which you are drawing and cutting -the object or the negative space. both have their uses

You are at the point in your drawing that you need to consider these factors to take that next step up the ladder. I do all my drawing on tracing paper. that way as I refine the picture I can just add another sheet and go from there keeping what I like and throwing out what I don't like. My drawing table mounts in my ball vise and my light box even fits on this 10 x 12 drawing board. -Fred

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
Looks good. Marrinan is correct. Lines need to be very fine. I don't use tracing paper any more. I use a Kohinoor pen by Rapidograph and go over the drawing directly. You must use their ink as well. It makes it photo ready. Clean up with an eraser. Then I scan and reduce to the size I want. Then I print for a transfer according to the transfer method you like.

Indy Joneds

Elite Cafe Member
thanks for the comments Marrinan and tdelewis

Marrinan - are you saying that i need to trace this so that there is only one clear outline instead of smudgy pencil?

Im not completely sure what you mean by " cutting inside or outside of the line " ... after i trace it with a fine drawing pen there will be only one line ? no ?

I must be missing the point , sorrry . When i look at this as i engrave i guess i will be cutting on or outside of the line , never inside .

Thank you for trying to explain . please continue and i will continue to try and understand

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Indy, Sorry I wasn't clear. Take a look at one of your backbones as a whole-both lines. If you cut on the outside of your pencil lines you will have a tendril of say one eight inch, if you cut to the inside of the line you will end up with a tendril of a sixteenth of an inch. the slightest roll or depth and you have no tendril at all.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Indy, Very nice design. I have a suggestion for you. Place a piece of tracing paper over the top of this drawing.. Using a .03 or at the largest a .05 black pen and trace the drawing only on the side of the line you are going to cut on. You will find that it makes a huge difference. Remember that your cuts are going to be much smaller than your drawn line or wider if you roll your tool.

Take a look down the right side of this sample. Look what happens to the size of the object if you cut on the outside of the line or the inside of the same side line. remember the cut becomes part of the background so you have to decide beforehand which you are drawing and cutting -the object or the negative space. both have their uses

You are at the point in your drawing that you need to consider these factors to take that next step up the ladder. I do all my drawing on tracing paper. that way as I refine the picture I can just add another sheet and go from there keeping what I like and throwing out what I don't like. My drawing table mounts in my ball vise and my light box even fits on this 10 x 12 drawing board. -Fred

that's a really cool idea-- a drawing board on your vise. also, the tracing paper trick. i love this place, as i learn something useful just about every visit. tyvm

Latest posts

Sponsors