Announcement: Warning!!

JDow

I'm using an Ultra 850 from GRS.. an air driven high speed rotary hand piece. Combined with a round burr this is the best tool I've seen to effortlessly and precisely remove background material. Its totally awesome! It is nearly identical to the hand pieces used in dentistry.. very high quality. The WARNING!!

USE HEARING PROTECTION!!!

No joke you'll go deaf

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Yes it is an NSK presto, not sure the details on how GRS renames it 850, and not really concerned about it. However, here is a warning, use some kind of protection from the metal dust that results from its use. In time you will start to notice a residue of metal dust on your ring light and microscope, guess what, some of that goes into your lungs. So my friendly advice is to protect yourself from that first and foremost. Good luck on your endeavor.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
What is the rush:no:with these rotary tools,one slip and you'll spend hours correcting the problem just use a single point graver and cross hatch out the background out and stipple. J.J.With even friendlier advice .

Last edited:

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
I'm using an Ultra 850 from GRS.. an air driven high speed rotary hand piece. Combined with a round burr this is the best tool I've seen to effortlessly and precisely remove background material. Its totally awesome! It is nearly identical to the hand pieces used in dentistry.. very high quality. The WARNING!!

USE HEARING PROTECTION!!!

No joke you'll go deaf

At what PSI do you run it?, I have a NSK presto I run at about 35 PSI, and is not that loud,

Richard.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I don't like rotary tools for removing background. I use a flat graver. If I can't find something to fit the need I grind one. If a 36 flat is not small enough I lay it on its side on a power hone to grind it to the size necessary so I can get into small places.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After 45 years of listening to the soothing song of high-pitched air-turbine handpieces, I can honestly say that I have had no hearing loss. Well, maybe some "selective" deafness according to my wife, but that wasn't caused by the handpieces. Having said this, I realize that some folks are hypersensitive to any high-pitched sounds and find them irritating. Wearing a mask while grinding ANYTHING is always a good idea.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I occasionally use a dental turbine for background removal. My studio is upstairs behind a closed door and my wife is downstairs in the other part of the house and she says her teeth hurt when I'm using it! She has exceptional hearing I might add. But, like JJ, I do most of my background removal with a single point and flats.....less stress on messing things up.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have a 400 krpm dental type handpiece. it lacked sufficient power to efficiently do removal. it was very easy to control. i bought one of the electric handpieces. high power, and quick removal. but as jj mentioned, i learned the hard way. fortunately on a buckle of brass. the damage was corrected , but at a price of time.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
The NSK doesn't hurt my ears at all... But I'm glad I read this thread because Brian H. mentioned the resulting debris will get in your lungs.

I should wear a respirator.