Question: LEICA A60 Flex Arm vs GRS Acrobat Versa

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Is there a major difference between the acrobat versa and the flex arm from Leica?

I have watched some Youtube and it looks like you are able to lock all the joints also on the flex arm that comes with Leica scope.

Thank you,
Denny

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
I have the Leica flex arm and I like it a lot, the reason being that I don't have a dedicated work area for engraving. I use my bench for Jewelry repair, watch repair and engraving. so when I am not using the Leica scope I simply move it to the side out of the way and do my other stuff, and when I need the scope 2 seconds and it is right where I want it.
when from the looks of it, the acrobat hand is a little harder to move around

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have the Leica flex arm and I like it a lot, the reason being that I don't have a dedicated work area for engraving. I use my bench for Jewelry repair, watch repair and engraving. so when I am not using the Leica scope I simply move it to the side out of the way and do my other stuff, and when I need the scope 2 seconds and it is right where I want it.
when from the looks of it, the acrobat hand is a little harder to move around

In my opinion the flex arm is easier to move, which is why some people prefer it, and also why some prefer the Acrobat. In your case Omar, the flex sounds like it's working well for your multi-task situation. For those who want the rigidity the Acrobat stand is known for, the Versa will do the job well and its grippy handles make it quite easy to move. I have one in my studio and it's solid as a rock and makes for very steady operation even at high magnification.

As always Denny, its good to try both before you buy if you can. One thing is for certain, the Leica A60 is a fabulous microscope!

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Yes Sam. After reading & watching your review. I have decided to buy the Leica A60 but not sure about the stand yet.
I mostly engrave on motorcycle parts which I use Optivisor. Once in a while I get commissioned small pieces. Although, it looks pretty nice with the naked eyes but it looks pretty scary under high magnification lol
I need a microscope that I can move easily while using my optivisor and would not take to long to set it back up when I need it.
Hopefully, the learning curve is not too bad from optivisor to microscope.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yes Sam. After reading & watching your review. I have decided to buy the Leica A60 but not sure about the stand yet.
I mostly engrave on motorcycle parts which I use Optivisor. Once in a while I get commissioned small pieces. Although, it looks pretty nice with the naked eyes but it looks pretty scary under high magnification lol
I need a microscope that I can move easily while using my optivisor and would not take to long to set it back up when I need it.
Hopefully, the learning curve is not too bad from optivisor to microscope.

It took me a day or two to get used to the microscope and then I was off and running. That was 1982, and I've been using one for 100% of my work since then. Some of my students find it awkward at first, but after the first day they're in the zone with it. Won't take you long!

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are referring to the 3 joint arm that comes with the Leica as a package, I can vouch for its quality. I've used both the Acrobat and now this flex arm extensively and they both have their attributes. The Acrobat is very rigid which is nice. The flex arm will swing out of the way and keeps my bench top uncluttered. Another nice feature of the flex arm that may be of interest to you is that you can extend it well away from its mounting point in order to engrave large objects that don't fit in the usual fixtures. Gun barrels and motorcycle parts come to mind. Yes it is more flexible than the Acrobat when locked off but it hasn't been a problem for me and I do enjoy the versatility. It's also well made for this type of stand. I must admit though, since I primarily engrave small items, I have been eyeing the new stand from GRS. Mighty spiffy!
Layne

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
If you are referring to the 3 joint arm that comes with the Leica as a package, I can vouch for its quality. I've used both the Acrobat and now this flex arm extensively and they both have their attributes. The Acrobat is very rigid which is nice. The flex arm will swing out of the way and keeps my bench top uncluttered. Another nice feature of the flex arm that may be of interest to you is that you can extend it well away from its mounting point in order to engrave large objects that don't fit in the usual fixtures. Gun barrels and motorcycle parts come to mind. Yes it is more flexible than the Acrobat when locked off but it hasn't been a problem for me and I do enjoy the versatility. It's also well made for this type of stand. I must admit though, since I primarily engrave small items, I have been eyeing the new stand from GRS. Mighty spiffy!
Layne

Thanks Layne! This confirm I will order the flex arm. My engraving varies between large/ odd and small objects. So I need to switch between optivisor & microscope a lot. How rigid do you need to see through a microscope? Isn't the rigidity of the Flex Arm sufficient enough??

Ditza

Can anybody tell me the serial number of the proper Leica flex arm for the A60? I bought a scope and need a stand for it now. I'm having a really tough time finding information. Also, Amscope seems to sell a similar product. Can anyone vouch for the quality of that product?

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Am Scope arm is not terrible. We have one on a spare bench for stray jewelers to use. The one packaged with the Leica is a bit tougher. Heavier construction. Tira Mitchell at www.engraver.com can help you out. I'm away from he bench but you might shoot her an email.
While not as stiff as an Acrobat, it does offer a lot more flexibility.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the flex arm. Anyone who's picky about having a head rest (don't know if they sell a head rest for the flex arm or not???)

It has a tensioning lever on the up and down movement and I have no complaints with it, it's definitely super versatile.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just mentioned this to the original poster but for the benefit of anyone trying to learn something from this post, when purchasing a scope, if you are buying new, it's best to buy a package from a reputable dealer. Scopes and stands are usually tailor made for each other. Stands are not universal and so finding a mate to your head might prove tough. If you are cobbling something together you'll need to have this in mind. Know exactly what you need and what will work with what before making a purchase. It would be a nightmare to buy a scope and find there was no objective lens and they are now unavailable. Or you need to cut your power in half but now you are fighting adapters to fit a .5 Barlow and nothing works, etc, etc. If you are on a budget, and you are not able to work on scopes yourself, seek out one of the refurbished scope dealers on ebay. There are several that buy, tune and resell them and in this manner you at least know you are getting a functional scope. You may even pay less than that shiny new Chinese copy you are looking at for a better quality unit.

Latest posts

Sponsors