Announcement: Hello from Australia, any local Engravers?

Cicc

Hello engravers across the world.

I'm new to the art and would like to purchase hand engravers locally if it is at all possible. Don't mind if goods are used, as long as they're not useless.

With thanks,:thumbsup:

Cicc
Fremantle W.Australia

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Cicc,Fellow Australian engraver Dani Girl would be glad to help you,she's very talented.:thumbsup: J.J.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
G'day Cicc and welcome,

I seem to recall one or two forum members from Perth hopefully they will show themselves on the thread for you.

When you say that you want to buy some hand gravers locally do you know what it is you want to buy? Do you want a pneumatic system or the traditional gravers that each have a wooden handle - if the former, both Enset and GRS systems can be bought from jewellers suppliers as can the traditional gravers but that leads us on to a whole bunch of other questions - what do you plan to engrave, are you thinking of hand push or H & C and how much time do you have free to learn both design work and actual engraving technique? Even learning to sharpen the traditional gravers will take longer than the alternative gravers due to the shortcuts available for the air assist systems. The air assist setups have certainly allowed a person to get up and make cuts sooner but that comes at an expense whereas if you have the time you can opt for the traditional.

All the best,
Roger

Cicc

Gday Roger,

It's awesome to know that there is people from Perth. I would certainly like to learn where to purchase both pneumatic and traditional locally if not interstate in Australia.
At this stage I have been tinkering with hand carve timber with carpenter chisels to get the flow but I know that aluminium and steel will be more satisfying of an outcome.
I've been using a standard work bench vice which boarderline torcher. So a vice would be great if you know any available.
If you know any start up tools please let me know and looking forward to hearing more from the forum.

Thanks
Cicc

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Cicc,

You can get new items from Aust Jewellers Supplies (Enset and GRS) - they have outlets in a number of capitals around the country, Perth included. Don't feel awkward about getting the Lindsay system even if you have to import it. The hardest thing for you will be to decide what tools you will want to go with without trying them. Unfortunately I don't think that there will be anywhere locally you can sit down and use the different systems - sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and choose. The alternative will be to go for a trip, get in a class with someone who has all the tools you want to try before you buy. Most of the air assist tools keep their value so it will be rare to find cheap second hand equipment. Steer clear of the knock-offs.

As I said earlier, your other main option will be to go with non air assist and here again you have 2 choices - "traditional" gravers which are preformed steels of different shapes or the square steels of various alloys which you will grind to the shapes required. The first choice can be purchased at the jewellers supply houses but will require practice to sharpen to the right angle either by hand or power hone, whereas the others (square blanks) will be able to fit sharpening templates or fixtures that will give predetermined angles which should get you cutting faster. The other thing about these blanks is that if you decide to progress to hammer and chisel or air assist at a later time it should be a simple progression. The only thing here is that the heel angles may need to be tweaked to make them longer for hand push engraving in comparison to the gravers used with air.

As for the block (vise) you may be lucky to get one on ebay or Gumtree - doesn't have to be new - otherwise look up the tips or archives and you will find plans on how to make a serviceable block using a bowling ball.

Ask questions as you think of them or send me a PM.

Roger

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Cicc,

I'm in NSW. I bought my GRS equipment from a jewellery suppliers (used to be HOJ, now is AJS), same as what Roger B says.
If there is anything I can help to answer, let me know, but otherwise, Roger has pretty much covered it.

Just remember if you order from overseas, the shipping on heavy items like a vice is quite high.
Sometimes our costs locally seem high until you consider this, and any purchase over $1000 incurs customs tax as well.

Cheers
Matt

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Cicc, I just like to say welcome to the forum mate, I think Roger and Matthew pretty much have it covered, I just do this as a hobby at the moment, but happy to answer questions if I can,

Richard.

Sponsors