A Little Setback For Now

DAK4442

Elite Cafe Member
I've only met a hand full of members in person and those of you I've met are wonderful folks. I wanted to stop in and say how thankful I am to all of you for submitting your works, thoughts, tips and ideas in this forum as well as thanking Sam for starting it all. I've submitted a few posts but will have to take a break for a bit for now. This Monday a clot of some sort decided to wedge itself in the occipital lobe of my brain. (The one that controls sight). Because I couldn't get help within the appropriate timeframe a "clot buster" couldn't be used" so the "damage" is permanent, except I've been advised by my neurologist that I have about a 6 month window to force my brain into doing some rewiring? For now I have an "upper left quadrant" deficit in both eyes which unfortunately means I can't drive for now either? On the bright side, of the 30 deficits one could have in any combination after a stroke I was blessed to only have this one. Secondly if I'm having dinner or drinks with someone I don't particularly like, I can just seat them in my left and not have to look at them and spoil the atmosphere?...:). So with two flintlock projects at 80% complete, a few sterling pieces waiting and just about ready to bid on a fairly large multi piece project for my church...I'm going to have to throw her in neutral? I've not tried looking through my optics to cut a line or grabbed a gouge and piece of curly maple since getting out of hospital yesterday and will probably wait a few weeks. For now it seems to benefit me to scan the forum for large intricately engraved works and continually scan them with my eyes, back and forth, up and down , and in circles retraining my brain how to comprehend large pieces of visual information at once and strengthen peripheral vision in areas that are now missing. There apparently is a fairly massive prayer train for me here and in SoCal. If anyone would like to get on board you are more than welcome. Cheers and hopefully I'll be back with a completed work after a bit? You will have to excuse any misc red in my photos. They put me on Plavix so my workshop could get bloody?...lol. Dan

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
I am sorry to hear that Dan, I pray for a speedy recovery for you and hope you will hand in there and be patient with the recovery. Today's science has come a long way and I am sure it will work out for you.
All the best to you and your family...

~Omar

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
So sorry to hear this, Dan. Like Omar, I pray for a speedy recovery and that you get back to your bench asap. But yeah, it could have been a lot worse. Glad you're still here with us.
~Sam

DAK4442

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Mark. If you have a show nearby sometime let me know. Unfortunately I'll have to prove I have 140 degree field of view flat and level across the center of my vision before they will let me drive again? Probably a good thing. I did read through your old note you sent and am thinking of ordering a bit of sterling wire and make a few inlay nails while I'm recovering? I'd like to have a hundred or so on hand. Blessings my friend...
Dan

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are on my prayer list Dan. The Good Lord does listen and answers prayers, so hang tough and expect the best. You're doing the right thing by exercising the eye. I recently read about a small girl that had one half her brain lost through a rare disease but within a few years was as normal in function as anyone. The brain has a remarkable ability to reprogram itself. I have positive feelings you will be fine shortly.

Bill

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Dan;
Sorry to hear of your health issue. It appears from your post that you have a positive attitude. Never under estimate the power of positive thinking when it come to your health and life in general. All the best and a speedy return to the engraving bench.
Cheers
Don

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
2 1/2 years ago I also had a stroke. Not too serious, but delayed getting to the ER long enough that I had to stay an extra day in the hospital. I also have lost my left peripheral vision in both eyes, but the left obviously covers up for the right so it's really just the left that is a problem. I didn't lose my drivers license, fortunately, and joke that I just stay in the left hand lane and drive fast.

It hasn't affected my engraving because the scope is looking straight ahead, so that's the good part. I didn't think my speech was affected but one of my clients has a specialty in that and said that it did, but has improved. I do find that I have to think/search for the right words sometimes, I don't have the energy or drive that I had before and it's harder to stay motivated. Luckily deadlines can still motivate me (as does the need for income).

I wish you the best and send reassurance that it isn't the end. You can still do most, if not all, of what you were doing before...it just takes a little longer and needs to be planned a little better.

Will

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Along with all my physical problems I have developed cataracts, the right one is so sever that with that eye I just see a blur. Have to raise the co-pay before they will do the surgery. Got the dr.. covered but not the hospital. With my broken neck and pain in the muscles in my neck I have not engraved in a year. don't know what to do Sell out maybe. thought I would go into making custom pieces for other engravers like buckle and spurs or bits. that kind of thing. Will see I bought the equipment to do it but It is just sitting for now-

Speaking of us all get older how is Simon doing aft his stroke. Haven't seen him on the forum forever. Markus Hunt either come to think of it. fingers crossed for all my engraving forum brothers and sisters

DAK4442

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for your words of kindness and encouragement.

Will, it's nice to hear from someone that was in this spot. I don't intend to take this laying down. Dr's graded me as a "1" with vision deficit only but I've been noticing there may be an issue with depth perception to some extent? Oh well I now spend evenings on my front porch focusing then refocusing on different trees stretched out over a few miles of my rural PA mountain view enjoying some tea. On a lighter note I've convinced my 20 year old son to toss nerf football with me for a few minutes at dusk to work on peripheral tracking. We started last night and I only caught one with my face? I think we will switch to babminton for next week? Blessings all. Dan

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you seem a bit upbeat. that's good, as a positive attitude can have a good effect on your rehab. like the others, i wish the best for you and a speedy recovery.

Latest posts

Sponsors