Critique Request Practice Lindsay like scrollwork drawing

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Please let me know what you like and what you don't. Enjoy:tiphat:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

I think that a lot of issues will show up as I colour in the background. There's a huge area with no background and lots of big background spaces. It's challenging.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think it's superb. If I were to pick one thing I didn't like it would be the thin spiraling stem in the center. The rest of the design is pretty beefy and thick and that stem might be a bit thin. It could be fattened up by adding a couple of leaves though. This is really nit picking though. It's a super layout and you have every right to be really proud of it!

I pity engravers who don't make time for drawing practice.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow. Thank you Sam.

I agree a few leaves coming off the skinny part would help immensely. I am more naturally drawing beefy worm and though I was trying not to I still do it. It's good practice though. I actually surprised myself

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great scroll and execution. The only suggestion I have is go easy on the cross-hatching....it seems a little overdone, IMO.

Bill

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
beautiful inspiring drawing, looks very good in my humble opinion.
And agree with Sam newbies like me have to dedicate much more drawing time to become better at executing well planned drawings like yours
I hope to get better with time... it's just being still time jeweler inside a mall takes a toll on my time

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I'd agree with that; I'd add that, personally, I find the thinner spiral near the center one of the more interesting aspects of it. To my eye it seems to do a good combined job of both filling a bit of space while providing a "lighter" look, reminiscent of some of the more tendril rich engravings I've seen. The interweaving seems to add a bit more dimension to the piece. Unconventional perhaps, but, to me nice. Of course I could easily be accused of lacking classical taste :)
Jeremy

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I personally like the crosshatching and find that it gives a nice texture as well as providing shading where needed. In my drawings, crosshatching always looks different than the way I engrave it. Or I should say I engrave crosshatching better than I draw it. I suspect this could be the case here. Of course it's different strokes as they say. This will make a most excellent engraving either way.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I thought I would see how adding a few leaves into the biggest areas of background and see.

Sorry the picture is not the best.

Attachments

• IMG_20160627_114648.jpg
    IMG_20160627_114648.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 173

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
thank you for the lesson in drawing Sam and Dani Girl, very informative. Especially with nice drawings and explanations, I also like the last drawing which explains your point even more. It would be great to see more threads like this with drawings with before and after corrections..would make for a great tutorial.

bswezey

I'm so impressed myself.....I'm a major newbie and know that drawing is going to be a weak point for me, something I will have to really work at in order to get better.....

Thanks for sharing!