Hand Engraved Silver Bracelet - Step by Step

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I tooks some pics along the way while making and engraving this 18ga 1" wide silver bracelet for a customer. Thought that it might benefit some newer engravers to get a feel for what is involved or at least how I do it. Most of it I learned from engravers on this forum over the past few years so I am trying to give back a little bit. ~David

IMG_5352w.jpg IMG_5357.jpg dsengraver bracelet1.jpg dsengraverbracelet3.jpg dsengraverbracelet2.jpg dsengraverbracelet4.jpg dsengraverbracelet5.jpg dsengraverbracelet6.jpg dsengraverbracelet7.jpg dsengraverbracelet10.jpg dsengraverbracelet9.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
beautiful engraving. an equally nice foto tutorial on your procedure. curious-- why use the trailer ball, and follow with the grs former ? btw- tyvm for showing this.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Really nice tutorial. Can we assume you plated it and sanded off the top plating?

I hope Salih will add this to the tips archive :D

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Peteb: I use 24K gold brush plating

Monk: good question! The two bending pictures should have been in reverse order. First I use the GRS bender and then I use the trailer hitch ball to form the very ends and to even out the overall C shape bend. I love the way the GRS bender puts the dome into the bracelet although I have also used only the ball hitch in the past and still ended up with a pretty good dome shape. BTW, I keep 3 sizes of trailer hitch balls available from 1 7/8 (for small to medium ladies bracelets) through 2 1/8 for larger size bracelets.

Sam: Yes, I selectively gold plate the engraved areas and then I use 2000 grit 3M paper on a block and sand it lightly under running water. That works pretty well.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Peteb: I use 24K gold brush plating

Monk: good question! The two bending pictures should have been in reverse order. First I use the GRS bender and then I use the trailer hitch ball to form the very ends and to even out the overall C shape bend. I love the way the GRS bender puts the dome into the bracelet although I have also used only the ball hitch in the past and still ended up with a pretty good dome shape. BTW, I keep 3 sizes of trailer hitch balls available from 1 7/8 (for small to medium ladies bracelets) through 2 1/8 for larger size bracelets.

Sam: Yes, I selectively gold plate the engraved areas and then I use 2000 grit 3M paper on a block and sand it lightly under running water. That works pretty well.

ok, that clears it up. this is a super dandy design and execution !

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Denny - I use a simple white rubber mallet you can buy at most hardware stores. For sterling silver bracelets I also glued on a layer of softer material in order not to damage, distort or cause tiny wrinkles in the edges of the bracelet. I actually cut that softer material from an old athletic insole from my tennis shoes! Be sure to tape the bracelet with two layers of good quality blue tape or electrical tape. And, lastly, after you tape it be sure to mark which side is engraved so you don't bend it inside out! Not impossible to do, trust me :)

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
[QUOTE be sure to mark which side is engraved so you don't bend it inside out!

That made me snicker when I saw that. It sounds like something I would do. Thanks for including it.