Who makes a graver that takes round carbide

naparra

Hello all. Do you guys happen to know what brand of engraver takes the round carbides?. I've seen one that cuts through hard steel like butter. Currently I'm using the lindsey artisen and it does ok but I feel I need something with more cutting power on hard steel. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I have a couple nGraver brand handles, one of wood with a pin vise type of collet that takes rounds, and another of the same brand made out of composition of some kind that has a steel cap in back if you want to use a chasing hammer (it seems a little bit too short for that purpose). What size, I'm not sure. . .most likely, 1/8". I'm a little skeptical of 'hard steel like butter', as I have hard steel that'll stop carbides cold. When using carbides for impact work, the formulas are way different that cutting under pressure with the tip already engaged. . .the impact is the killer. You just can't hog some cuts, and push the tool beyond its limitations. There are suitable carbides, and you'll just have to work within limitations.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The behemoth impact handpiece is one of the old GRS models. I don't know which one it is but someone at GRS could help you identify it. It could be attached to a Gravermach or GraverMeister machine.
The rotatary handpiece is air driven and I'm not familiar with that one.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My eyes! My eyes!!!! :shock:

however, i do have one of those big, honkin' GraverMax handpieces i've never used if you want to make me an offer...

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
The video makes me sad... I own a few nice old bikes, and that guy molested that derby cover, in my opinion. I've seen great motorcycle engraving done by somebody in the Arlen Ness organization, and the work Otto Carter has done is unbelievably beautiful... but... yeah, the stuff in that video kinda made me cringe.

naparra

Thank you all

Thank you all for the information. I was interested in that piece because it seems to cut well. I'm also open to newer gravers. Something with more power than my Artisen.

Mitch, I will get a hold of you.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lindsay makes the Nitro G 20 Airgraver, very powerful. Designed for that the type of work MTC

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have the 701 and the new maestro magnum version, I've used both and honestly they are very comparable in power when tuned just right you can't go wrong with either.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Latest posts

Sponsors