Question: Best Power hone?

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
I may be in the market for a power hone soon. I've been doing this for long enough to warrant buying a good one.

What's the best option for both quickly roughing blanks, and sharpening/polishing?

I'm sure the GRS is just fine for sharpening, but what about the TWDesigns Power Hone? I've heard it's faster for roughing blanks.

Thanks in advance :tiphat:

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
the TWDesigns power hone is excellent, it is setup to work with Lindsay templates, it is a variable speed so you can control the rpm. Works very well

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do my roughing on either a 42 in or 72 inch belt grinder, both variable speed. TW is a nice machine and the Lindsay adjustment is automatic. I have two GRS units from when they first came out. They have different kind of switches now. neither has ever failed to do its job. I think it is a personal choice kind of thing. I learned to rough on a grinding wheel keep my blanks cool and it just seems natural to me. No plans to upgrade to TW Variable speed at this time. Fred

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
AndrosCreations: The GRS power hone is multi directional, which helps a lot. They also sell a 100 grit diamond wheel which can make short work out of rough grinding a graver. Just don't overheat the tool as your grinding it. Then go no to your higher grits then finish on a cast iron lapp.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
MTC the TW unit is a grinder and a hone. Hone being normal slow speed for final finish/polish. YMMV

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andy, I have both the Tom White and the GRS hones. I like both, but if I were to chose only one, I would pick the Tom White because of the variable speed. The only drawback is that changing the wheels on the TW takes longer. That is why I kept both hones. I use the TW to rough-in the blank and then the GRS to do the final finishing and polishing the facets.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Andy, I have both the Tom White and the GRS hones. I like both, but if I were to chose only one, I would pick the Tom White because of the variable speed. The only drawback is that changing the wheels on the TW takes longer. That is why I kept both hones. I use the TW to rough-in the blank and then the GRS to do the final finishing and polishing the facets.

What he said! I, too, have both. I like the new multi-directional GRS hone, mine is an old one, but it works just fine. If you use carbide the TW is perfect. With HS steel you have to be careful about overheating, but I still do it...just no pressure. Th TW would be my choice for just one. It works great with the GRS quick change/infinite setting (dual angle) and the easy sharpening fixture (which I just love).

maako

I use a ryobi that cost about $100, I had to modify it so I could use the GRS and Lindsey sharpening system's and it works fine.

Steve L S

For me the best power hone is a 25mm dia steel or brass washer charged with various grades of diamond paste in my flex shaft. Occasionally true them up on diamond laps in the drill press on lowest possible speed.

I don’t agree with tool Puritanism or Ludditeism but think the folks at places like “Following the Ironbrush” provide us all with a wonderful vaccine against the rampant commercial virus which insists we only have to open our wallets and can “buy a skill”

Steve

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Andy, I have a TW one and is excellent, variable speed is a +, and also I have not seen it mentioned, although it is set up for the Lindsay templates (1/2"), you can adjust the height of the diamond lap to suit the GRS sharpening fixture as well, as for some angles I find the fixture bottoms out at the 1/2" height..

Richard.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
maybe a hybrid set-up of a TW with one of Bob Finlay's 3 disc adaptors? that'd be the cat's .... hindquarters.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone... Some very helpful comments for me here. I may just leave the drill press set up with the roughing wheel... Not sure why I hadn't thought of that before.

Thanks again!

I have had En-Sharp in almost a year.
The advantages are that it is strong, direct drive, adjustable speed 250-750 rpm, you can change the direction of rotation and that it is possible to adjust the plate about 1cm.
Had a Pover hone earlier and tried TW
All three are good, but I have found the one that suits me best.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Do these machines (GRS, TW, "Tira's") all use the same 5"-6" discs or is one locked into using a particular supplier of discs for a given machine?
Also which of them allow adjustment of the disc height; I know the TW does but can anyone comment on the others? I'm assume this is most relevant if using the Lindsay type sharpening templates rather than the GRS type drop down sharpening tools.
Also what's the advantage of being able to change direction of rotation?
thanks
Jeremy

All these machines have a center pegg at ½ inch
So all discs fit the different brands.
You can adjust the disc height on (Tira's) actually called En-Sharp and produced by SyEnSet, about 1 cm which is sufficient to use Lindsay temple.