Question: Managing backlog

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all,

Sort of a general question for "old-timers". How do you manage your work backlog?

When you already have 6-12 months, or more, of work booked up with "larger" stuff, say projects that take 2-4 weeks or months to complete and then new things come in. Do you try to squeeze the smaller projects (1 day or less) in-between larger ones, or add to the end? What if semi-large job comes in that is urgent (seems to happen quite a lot)... Do you just decline that particular job, or try to do with double rate, or some other option?

I know that rising price willy-nilly to have less incoming jobs isn't that good, or at least should be done with caution. As it is later very hard to lower (and rise again etc), could cause a "PR problem". So I've been trying to keep same pricing as long as possible and rise not too often.

Also, if and how do you do marketing if there is already a year's worth of work booked up? I know many attend regularly shows etc. How do people react when you're at show promoting your work and when they find out that queue is 18 months (or whatever).

All comments and thoughts on this topic are welcome :)

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
It sounds like business is doing well and you have come to the point you cannot do everything that comes in. I agree the price increase to slow work is dangerous, I have seen prominent guys get burned. Better to raise your prices as your work grows in value. I would advise just being more selective and start saying no to some work. It is up to you what you turn away, I began by passing on any job that sounded boring.

Best regards. B.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i agree with brian. those "little jobs" one takes can sometimes take more time than one plans on. if nothing else, they can take one away from the work they should be concentrating on.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
Great question and answers. When I started to facet stones just having one iron in the fire turned it into an obsession rather than fun, particularly when I encountered problems of one sort or another with a stone. I found it nice to take a break from one project and work on another project that is never too time consuming. Great note taking helped to come back to the other work and pick up where I left off at. While this does not help with your real problem it is just a thought. A Little distraction can help bigger things come into focus with renewed energy.

Don’t drink and drive you might spill your drink

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
-what Brian said, and in addition, with regard to shows, when i am at a show on my own dime, i just am there to be seen. I shop the tables, have lunch with the gang, dinner perhaps.
You need to let people know you are still around.
And no matter how good your marketing is, there are always people at shows who have never met, or heard of you.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
I am happy that you are busy with work orders, but if you are one of the only engravers around, it might be a good idea to start considering the near future of expanding your shop,
maybe you can find and take on an apprentice who can learn from you and watch you work. if you plan it right and they learn enough, you can have them do some of the labor intensive work and you do the more detailed work that needs to be done.

just a thought, because I know people in Finland ,Estonia and Latvia love and enjoy their shotguns and engraved items.

good luck to you

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Think twice before taking on an apprentice to ease your workload.
Any and all screw ups are on YOUR shoulders !

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sometimes on a big project, you get so engrossed in the work you lose sight of the overall design, concept and execution. Putting it aside to work on a small job not only gives you something different in style and cutting but allows your mind to take a break. Then when you return to the larger, more demanding piece, you are in a different frame of mind and can see it from a different perspective, and approach it fresh again.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the answers and thoughts. Very helpful indeed.

Like Brian guessed, work has been picking and queueing up, hence the question :). I guess starting to weed out the boring incoming projects would be a very good start.

Fortunately, though, bulk of the projects are right now watches, so they're in 1-3 week range per project. Doesn't get too boring, especially when very different styles are requested.

Roger, "Mini Me"s are still few years away from sharpening :)

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
FWIW.....I never give a solid "dead-line" for the big stuff. I rather enjoy the flexibility of not having to work under pressure and besides that, I do my best work when there's less things to think about. Getting paid at the end of the job is the best motivator for me and I can fit in those little things to keep life from getting boring.
When it comes to the small stuff, my first question is ,"When do you need it?"
Almost anyone can squeeze in a signet ring or a money clip in a week to 10 days.
I "Cherry Pick" from their deadline, if it is something I even want to do.
Of course, the price is usually a little higher in the shorter time frames. If they balk, I walk.Simple enough & you'll never get burned on a deal you don't do. Too many people leave that "I'll get it engraved for(Fill in the blank)" to the last minute and expect us to work a miracle.
More than once, I wanted to tell them, "An oversight on your part does NOT constitute and emergency on mine."

Latest posts

Sponsors