DIY engraving machines

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I knew a guy who made his own Gravermeister back in the early 80s. I think it was more of a challenge than necessity, and it did work quite well as I recall.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if i still had access to a bridgeport & a lathe, i'd leap on this in a flash. even tho i have good air assist toys, this would be a fun project.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
After my time trying to build a tool my thought was you needed to decide if you want to be an engraver or a tool developer. You don't have time to do both. But I do like building things and there is justification with that.

I'm in the middle of a major home building project this last 8-9 months and all my engraving tools are toted. Plan is when the project is done and we are into the new space I'm moving from push/wiggle a quality engraving setup. Can't wait.

John

Ragnarok

After reviewing Sam's push graving video the next time I visited youtube the following videos on building a cheap pneumatic engraving machine popped up on the main page.

It looks pretty good compared to the bad one I made when I first started. The one that set me back 2 years. So, good luck....

https://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=O9Ovm_zCXG0

I think that's Shaun Hughes youtube channel. He does some pretty cool work. I really liked the videos of the hobo nickles he engraved with a concrete nail and a piece of copper tubing on his finger for a "hammer". I watch all of his videos, since I accidentally found them and learned what a hobo nickle was and got interested in engraving.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
John,If you ever get out to Virginia go to the NRA museum and you see John Murphy's power assist engraving machine the first power assist engraving tool.John Murphy was a gun engraver and a friend of E.C.Jack Prudhomme. J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The first palm controlled handpiece was invented by engraver Al Scott in 1988. I believe he modified a GRS handpiece, and as far as I know he still uses it today.

DIYers rule!

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
AL used a Cadillac air conditioning air compressor to power his hand piece. The handle was a deer antler bored out to support the inner workings.

1360958044091.jpg

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
I can really identify with this thread. A toolmaker by trade, it's assumed (at least by me) that I can make anything. I've generally learned over the years not to make what I can buy but when it comes to this kind of thing that goes out the bloody window. I finally decided to start building knives about 5 years ago after years of wanting to, and quickly decided to build my own knife grinder. Result was that I have a hellova nice grinder and no knives because by the time I finished it, life, job changes, etc. got in the way. Not long after, my long time interest in engraving was inflamed because of the knives and I bought a Lindsey tool. Worked on practice plates and all those unfinished knife blanks and quicker than I imagined got pretty decent. Not Steve or Sam or Barry quality to be sure, but not at all embarrassing. More life changes put things on hold again. Moved into a new space and since I was never happy with my engraving setup, I set about making a new stand/turntable.
I just got "outsourced" to China and spent every possible second before I leave my current situation trying to make everything I need to get restarted with both my afflictions. I hope that I'm at least set to go forward but when I think of all that time wasted essentially because "I know better what I need," I wonder....
I have a new job lined up and I hope it's not going to get in the way of what is truly important. So yes, you can make tools or you can make art but you can only make both if that's all you do IMHO

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
I can really identify with this thread. A toolmaker by trade, it's assumed (at least by me) that I can make anything. I've generally learned over the years not to make what I can buy but when it comes to this kind of thing that goes out the bloody window. I finally decided to start building knives about 5 years ago after years of wanting to, and quickly decided to build my own knife grinder. Result was that I have a hellova nice grinder and no knives because by the time I finished it, life, job changes, etc. got in the way. Not long after, my long time interest in engraving was inflamed because of the knives and I bought a Lindsey tool. Worked on practice plates and all those unfinished knife blanks and quicker than I imagined got pretty decent. Not Steve or Sam or Barry quality to be sure, but not at all embarrassing. More life changes put things on hold again. Moved into a new space and since I was never happy with my engraving setup, I set about making a new stand/turntable.
I just got "outsourced" to China and spent every possible second before I leave my current situation trying to make everything I need to get restarted with both my afflictions. I hope that I'm at least set to go forward but when I think of all that time wasted essentially because "I know better what I need," I wonder....
I have a new job lined up and I hope it's not going to get in the way of what is truly important. So yes, you can make tools or you can make art but you can only make both if that's all you do IMHO

Latest posts

Sponsors