3/32" square carbide suppliers

Lance

Does anyone know where I can order some 3/32" x 6-12 inch long square carbide ? I've found suppliers for round carbide but not square .

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why do you need them so long? If its because you feel there to expensive your right and wrong, you need to have some that are sold by grs or the other engraving suppliers in the several metal configuration. Why so you know that when you are learning and something is not working, you are eliminating one possible problem, cheap graver material. Once you have more experience you dont need for them to be square, round work just as good and are cheaper. Just my two cents. Now if your experienced then disregard.

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Having been around that sort of thing, and after having some custom made carbides made for us for non-engraving reasons, your dimension of square-to-length ratio is way, way out of normal. Even if you did have someone custom grind what you want from a piece of larger stock, you wouldn't want to pay for that a second time. Off-the-shelf carbides for engravers work fine, and short lengths can be held adequately. . .some things you can do, and some you can't.

Ragnarok

I've been trying out some 3/32" round TIG welding tungstens. They sharpen up easy with Steve Lindsays templates. So far they're working great in brass, copper, and very mild steel. I haven't tried them in anything even remotely hard yet. I cut each 7" piece into 3 sections, so that's 30 graver blanks for $20 or less. I grind a small flat on one side on an end for the set screw in the Lindsay sharpening template, and that also keeps it in the proper position in my Artisan Airgraver.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
3/32 tig electrodes

I've been trying out some 3/32" round TIG welding tungstens. They sharpen up easy with Steve Lindsays templates. So far they're working great in brass, copper, and very mild steel. I haven't tried them in anything even remotely hard yet. I cut each 7" piece into 3 sections, so that's 30 graver blanks for $20 or less. I grind a small flat on one side on an end for the set screw in the Lindsay sharpening template, and that also keeps it in the proper position in my Artisan Airgraver.

i bought a tig rig sometime ago. those electrodes may cut well, but should only be wet ground and sharpened. they contain nasties that do not belong in the lungs. you may want to investigate the matter a bit. jmho

Ragnarok

i bought a tig rig sometime ago. those electrodes may cut well, but should only be wet ground and sharpened. they contain nasties that do not belong in the lungs. you may want to investigate the matter a bit. jmho

I always wear a respirator when grinding anything. I've never understood why some people won't wear one when grinding stuff. I really hate blowing my nose or hacking up steel, micarta, carbon fiber, bone, antler, or horn dust.

Latest posts

Sponsors