Help, please: Need your help, where can infind this red resist and whatis it called?

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Not sure if either will work for your purposes, but a colored nail polish is used by the acid etch guys for masking off, and a friend of mine used it, when he etched, his damascus blades in putting on his initials. The colorant is only to see where you applied the polish, as transparent might be hard to see. Acetone removes it. Second, a product we used in electrical work, and one the racecar guys use to paint inside of heads is called 'glyptal', and is reddish in color. I don't know what solvent would remove it. I used to have a can around, somewhere, and it should be available in a better, well stocked electrical supply house.

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like regular finger nail polish,I have used it for years when acid etching.

Takoyaki

Hi,

nail polish/-laquer does the work in most of the jewellers workshops, also on this side of the pond,
if the "bath" isn`t too hot!

greetings
Tako

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks all for the replies, will nail polish peel that easily? And where do you get it in big enough supply to dip a 1911 slide or frame?

GunEngraver.com Guns, Knives & More

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks all for the replies, will nail polish peel that easily? And where do you get it in big enough supply to dip a 1911 slide or frame?

It readily is removed with acetone and the small bottles come with a built in brush for application. I would be glad to pour a whole bunch of bottles together, enough to make a quart, for the modest sum of $900.00!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
asphaltum varnish resist used to be available at rio grande or gesswein. nearly any oil-based paint will work. i've had limited success with acrylic nail polish. as far as the stuff peeling off-- i don't think any of it will remove without the use of a solvent.
the cronite company may be an even better source of the good stuff.

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yep Cronite has all the stuff for etching and the owner is very helpful. ask to speak to him

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
asphaltum varnish resist used to be available at rio grande or gesswein. nearly any oil-based paint will work. i've had limited success with acrylic nail polish. as far as the stuff pee;ing off-- i don't think any of it will remove without the use of a solvent.
the cronite company may be an even better source of the good stuff.
Thanks for the lead, but as you can see in the short video, its cut with a knife, exacto blade, and peeled of, there working in bulk when plating, so it must be quick and easy to work with.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The red resist you are talking about is sold by Rio Grande jewelry supply. It is used with a special lacquer thinner that you must have or it will not thin and stay on with ordinary lacquer thinner. I do quite a bit of selective plating. Finger nail polish works good for etching small areas but will not stay on through the plating process very well. Rio sells the resist and the thinner. I suggest you buy two cans of thinner it you are going to do much. When using the resist it is better to apply two coats.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Without knowing how much you know about plating I will tell you this. It depends on the metal you are working with but with all metals the engraved part will have to be washed with a good solvent such as gasoline and then Alcohol, then steam cleaned and then electro cleaned in a 150° solution of Sodium hydroxide. I plate both sterling and steel mostly. The video is extremely over simplified. In most cases the metal also needs to be plated with copper and or nickel to prep it for the gold. Depending on what type of gold solution you use the object needs to be in the solution for about 10 minutes at 3 volts. I use the heavy deposition 24k Gold solution acid base. I am very fearful of the cyanide stuff and got rid of all my cyanide base solutions. The smallest mistake can kill you with the cyanide stuff. This stuff does not peal as good as the video suggests. It is better to paint it on like the finger nail polish. If it is the least bit loose the gold plating will creep under it. J.H.
Rio Grande jewelers supply.
Red Masking Lacquer for Selective Plating

Item #: 335009

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jerry,
Thanks again, i do plating in house, i ordered it, cant wait to give it a try, thanks again.

monk

Staff member
Thanks for the lead, but as you can see in the short video, its cut with a knife, exacto blade, and peeled of, there working in bulk when plating, so it must be quick and easy to work with.

quick and easy ? when you find "quick and easy", i surely want to learn the technique. even if you resort to lasered pnp, there's nothing quick about it. experimentation (practice) using the techniques is just about mandatory. moreso if you're doing this on a customers' gun.

monk

Staff member
i mentioned "lasering on pnp". it's a technique using a laser printer. print the design on the pnp. this method requires a toner with high iron oxide content. it creates a resist based on your chosen design. i've done the technique on copper and brass. i aint got the courage to try it on a gun. even this method is not "quick and easy". go to google and type "pnp resist techniques". good luck

monk

Staff member
Need your help!

Where can i find this red resist for plating, and what is it called.

https://youtu.be/YvZToJP0MQk

carlos: the video was poorly lighted, and too fast to be sure, but i'm thinkin the resist you want is called self adhesive vinyl. i use it in my plotter to create signs and such. i got a raft of scraps of this stuff. send me yer address. i can send you enough to do several hundred guns (including practice). practice with it first, before doing an actual gun.
the stuff wont take pencil marks, but works well with a fine sharpie or such. removal is easy. lighter fluid or acetone does this very well.

Latest posts

Sponsors