Zeiss microscope review

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Congratulations, Mario. Welcome to Club Zeiss! Your scope will adapt very easily to the Acrobat stand if you like that one. A couple of leather shims is all that's needed.

Enjoy your new scope!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Uh oh! You're in for it now Mario!

Give it a week and you'll be so in love with your scope you won't want to work any other way.

Soon you'll find yourself cutting happily along, carving great deep canyons and sweeping scrolls only to come away from the eyepieces and be unable to find your work at all as you realize you were zoomed in all the way instead of out.

Don't ask how I know this :eek:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud i'm sure the Novex is very good particularly when i looked at your work.
Sam i'll order the Acrobat. I have seen it in its full dimension.
Steve - yes, "i am hooked".

There is one thing i like to say at this point to readers, who may think "What a mad guy to get such a expensive scope". No, i don't believe that this tool makes me a better engraver - no way - only learning and practice will do that. I'm a professional goldsmith (BTW a master and like Dennis i am proud of it) and i looked for something like that to set stones a long time before. So there was one good reason to get it. The other factor is my visual performance - it is strange - the elder the worse... :)

Anyway, with this thing i can see at last what i'm doing - amazing!

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Working distance - a small update:
Currently i am scratching under the 0,63x supplementary lens. It allowed a working distance up to 130 mm and offers an objekt field up to 56 mm. The more i work with it, the more i detect i need more free space. Don't know why, perhaps my hands are to big ;)
Now i found the 0,4x lens. This one offers a working distance up to 210 mm and a objekt field about 88 mm.

Perhaps this information is important to somebody who likes to get one...

Mario

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, I have a X0,5 lens and I also mentioned in another tread about to much magnification.
My working distance with the Novex is 130mm and I an object field of 55mm. This when the magnification is the less.
When turning the zoom at the maximum, I only have a working distance of 100mm and object field of 6mm.
So the 6mm of object field is only useful fore stone setting I think, for engraving I can't use this as you have to move the ball vise constantly.
My zoom indicates values from 0,65 up to 4,5. But I'm not sure what exactly this means.

But for engraving mainlines I use the 1 or 1,5 to have enough magnification and object field.

BTW, I just broke my neon lamp that is around the mic lens, be careful with it, cost me 75 euro. :(

arnaud

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
When turning the zoom at the maximum, I only have a working distance of 100mm...
This is different to the Zeiss. The working distance is allways the same. No matter if magnification is high or low.

BTW, I just broke my neon lamp that is around the mic lens, be careful with it, cost me 75 euro. :(
I bought the LED from GRS. That's a pretty thing. You can adjust the light from high to low and you can turn on or off different sections. Feels very robust.

Sponsors