Zeiss microscope review

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've been wanting a Zeiss stereo zoom microscope since the first time I used one at the Alexandre School in Belgium. Alexandre uses one and has a second one on the instructor's bench in the classroom. After using this scope for a week, I was totally spoiled. Chris DeCammillis also has one and I've used his, which made me want one more than ever. The cost of a new Zeiss stereo zoom is around $3500. As luck would have it, I picked up a used one from an industrial liquidator for a really good price.

My scope arrived with 10x23 eyepieces which have slighly larger lenses to accommodate eyeglass wearers. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there are other 10x eyepieces with slightly smaller lens diameters. It also came with a standard table top base and focusing system and no objective lens, so it was way too powerful for engraving.

When removing the micscope from the base, the first thing I noticed was its light weight. I mean this sucker is light as a feather! The case is made from some sort of high impact plastic or polycarb material. Quite honestly, it feels cheap. My cameras and lenses are all pretty heavy as are my Meiji microscopes, so it's quite a shock to see how light the Zeiss is.

I was hoping I could adapt the Zeiss to my GRS Acrobat stand without much trouble. The Zeiss is smaller in diameter than the Meiji so it doesn't fit tightly into the metal ring that holds the scope. Another issue is that the Zeiss protrudes father than the Meiji and contacts the headrest attachment on the Acrobat stand. This keeps it from setting flush in the mounting ring. This can be easily remedied by making a short spacer to fit between the headrest mount and the mounting ring. I don't use a headrest so I modified mine with a hacksaw, but I don't recommend this to those who use headrests.

After the scope was setting flush into the mounting ring, I cut 3 pieces of heavy leather shims and placed them at each thumbscrew location and tightend the screws. Perfect, solid fit!

The bad news: the scope came with no objective, so it's impossible to engrave with.
The good news: the 0.5x objective on my Meiji threads perfectly into the Zeiss so I can now use it!
The bad news: While it works, something is just not right with the optics. I suspect the 0.5x is not an optimum reduction for this scope. I can't explain why other than my eyes can 'feel' something's not right. I'm sure Zeiss has a reason for their odd number 0.63x objective which I have on order.
The best news: The 0.63x arrived from Germany and now the scope is perfect.

One look through a Zeiss and you immediately see a difference. First is the brightness, and second is the extremely high resolving power of its optics. In other words, it's very bright and extremely sharp...and at all zoom ranges (many microscopes and camera lenses darken as magnification (zoom) increases). Zeiss is a world leader in optics and it really shows in this microscope. There were plenty of times when I wish I had just a bit more light, but that's not the case now. The brightness of this scope is simply amazing.

Along with brightness and sharpness comes an additional bonus, and that is edge-to-edge sharpness across the field of view. This isn't easy to achieve, and camera lenses, binoculars, and rifle scopes that are this sharp and bright are difficult to manufacture and extremely expensive.

The zoom knob has a set screw which can adjusted for click-stop zooming or continuous zoom. I have mine set to click, but I see no advantage. The scope zooms smoothly and effortlessly, and the knob rotates in the opposite direction as my Meiji scopes.

My Stocker & Yale fluorescent ring light is held in place temporarily by a rubber band until I decide on the best way to mount it.

In conclusion, this is an amazing piece of optical gear. Is it worth it, considering you can probably buy 2 or 3 microscopes for the cost of the Zeiss body alone? Is it THAT much better to justify the price? Of course this depends on the individual, but after using this scope for a couple of weeks now, I have no regrets and would have no regrets if I had paid regular price for a new one. I still believe the Meiji stereo zoom scope made in Japan is the best microscope for the money. I have two of them and they are absolutely excellent scopes. The Zeiss Stemi 2000 is simply the brightest and sharpest microscope I've ever used.

Attachments

• stemi_2000.jpg
    stemi_2000.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 487

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Sam i work as a hunting guide from time to time and i had a client give me a pair of Zeiss 10 X 40 binoculers a few years ago, and man what a differance!!I thought i had a pretty good pair of pentax binos, now they make my eyes hurt and im spoiled for life.

Sam

Staff member
Steve: I know what you mean. I have a pair of Leica 8x32's I got back in the '80's, and they are so bright and sharp that's it's just unreal. When it's too dark to see in the woods, these binocs allow you to not only see clearly, but with unbelievable sharpness and contrast. I thought my Nikon rifle scope was bright, but I've compared it next to the Leica binoculars, and in dim light when I couldn't see anything through the scope the Leica's were very bright.

I've used the Zeiss 10x40's and they will also ruin you for life. That's one heck of a gift you got. Those are some very expensive optics!! / ~Sam

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
I got him on a antelope that went pretty high in the book so he gave me those for a tip. I was tickled pink!!!!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
zeiss scope

sam, send me the scope and arm. i know how to make the adjustment to work purrfeckly. i may have a bit of trubble findin your return address.

Sam

Staff member
thanks Gail. They're in Colorado and I'm in Louisiana. I might send this one in for cleaning and lubrication at some point though. Nice to know about these guys, thank you. / ~Sam

I think they have local reps all around the country. The Rep they sent out to my shop came from the cape.
He gave my scope a once over, (and I bought my scope off of e-bay.) They switched out my oculars from straight to 45 for no charge.
Great company!
Gail

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
... The Zeiss is smaller in diameter than the Meiji so it doesn't fit tightly into the metal ring that holds the scope.
Are you still satisfied with it? Would you advise a original stand from Zeiss? Is a working distance of 130 mm enough? I ask because i think about to get one.

Mario

Sam

Staff member
Yes, I love it, and have had it a year now. It's a fantastic microscope and I have no regrets. I have not used the original stand so I don't know much about them. I'm using my GRS stand which works great. Magnus Jensen also has the same scope and he really likes his, too. It is razor sharp across the entire field of view, and the working distance is very close to my Meiji scope which is perfect for my engraving.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dadgum you Sam! I too have wanted one of these since I used one at Alexandre's last year. No more engraving than I am doing these days its hard to justify, but there will probaly be one show up at my place sooner or later.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
I've got the price for the org. stand meantime: (hope you are sitting on your chair) the price is higher than a Meiji Microscope (don't know if it is made of Gold...)! So now i'm knowing what i want. Thank you for the preview and the advice.
Mario

Sam

Staff member
Mario: Yes, Zeiss products are very expensive. As far as their optics, they are considered the best in the world, and you pay for the privilege. This scope is extremely bright and sharp, just like all Zeiss products, including camera lenses, binoculars, rifle scopes, etc. I don't think you'll regret the purchase.

Scott: They pop up on eBay from time to time, but rarely at a really low price. When I used Alexandre's Zeiss scope, all I could think about was getting one, but it took 3 years to find a used one at a decent price.

malibutj

re: Zeiss microscope

I've been wanting a Zeiss stereo zoom microscope since the first time I used one at the Alexandre School in Belgium. Alexandre uses one and has a second one on the instructor's bench in the classroom. After using this scope for a week, I was totally spoiled. Chris DeCammillis also has one and I've used his, which made me want one more than ever. The cost of a new Zeiss stereo zoom is around $3500. As luck would have it, I picked up a used one from an industrial liquidator for a really good price.

My scope arrived with 10x23 eyepieces which have slighly larger lenses to accommodate eyeglass wearers. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there are other 10x eyepieces with slightly smaller lens diameters. It also came with a standard table top base and focusing system and no objective lens, so it was way too powerful for engraving.

When removing the micscope from the base, the first thing I noticed was its light weight. I mean this sucker is light as a feather! The case is made from some sort of high impact plastic or polycarb material. Quite honestly, it feels cheap. My cameras and lenses are all pretty heavy as are my Meiji microscopes, so it's quite a shock to see how light the Zeiss is.

I was hoping I could adapt the Zeiss to my GRS Acrobat stand without much trouble. The Zeiss is smaller in diameter than the Meiji so it doesn't fit tightly into the metal ring that holds the scope. Another issue is that the Zeiss protrudes father than the Meiji and contacts the headrest attachment on the Acrobat stand. This keeps it from setting flush in the mounting ring. This can be easily remedied by making a short spacer to fit between the headrest mount and the mounting ring. I don't use a headrest so I modified mine with a hacksaw, but I don't recommend this to those who use headrests.

After the scope was setting flush into the mounting ring, I cut 3 pieces of heavy leather shims and placed them at each thumbscrew location and tightend the screws. Perfect, solid fit!

The bad news: the scope came with no objective, so it's impossible to engrave with.
The good news: the 0.5x objective on my Meiji threads perfectly into the Zeiss so I can now use it!
The bad news: While it works, something is just not right with the optics. I suspect the 0.5x is not an optimum reduction for this scope. I can't explain why other than my eyes can 'feel' something's not right. I'm sure Zeiss has a reason for their odd number 0.63x objective which I have on order.
The best news: The 0.63x arrived from Germany and now the scope is perfect.

One look through a Zeiss and you immediately see a difference. First is the brightness, and second is the extremely high resolving power of its optics. In other words, it's very bright and extremely sharp...and at all zoom ranges (many microscopes and camera lenses darken as magnification (zoom) increases). Zeiss is a world leader in optics and it really shows in this microscope. There were plenty of times when I wish I had just a bit more light, but that's not the case now. The brightness of this scope is simply amazing.

Along with brightness and sharpness comes an additional bonus, and that is edge-to-edge sharpness across the field of view. This isn't easy to achieve, and camera lenses, binoculars, and rifle scopes that are this sharp and bright are difficult to manufacture and extremely expensive.

The zoom knob has a set screw which can adjusted for click-stop zooming or continuous zoom. I have mine set to click, but I see no advantage. The scope zooms smoothly and effortlessly, and the knob rotates in the opposite direction as my Meiji scopes.

My Stocker & Yale fluorescent ring light is held in place temporarily by a rubber band until I decide on the best way to mount it.

In conclusion, this is an amazing piece of optical gear. Is it worth it, considering you can probably buy 2 or 3 microscopes for the cost of the Zeiss body alone? Is it THAT much better to justify the price? Of course this depends on the individual, but after using this scope for a couple of weeks now, I have no regrets and would have no regrets if I had paid regular price for a new one. I still believe the Meiji stereo zoom scope made in Japan is the best microscope for the money. I have two of them and they are absolutely excellent scopes. The Zeiss Stemi 2000 is simply the brightest and sharpest microscope I've ever used.

Hi Sam - quick introduction, my name's Tj, been reading your chat board for a while and really enjoy everything. I have a Stemi 2000 C, it's the same as yours except a microscope can go on top of it (but, when you need to record you have to click a lever that shuts off the right eyepiece). I didn't learn this til after I bought it. Also I have an adapter that goes to the microscope that lifts it up and down, and that piece fits on a one inch pipe similar to the stand you got rid of, I believe. What I did was, I found that same piece of pipe, about four feet long and screwed it into the ceiling of my shop and mounted my scope to that. Now I can rack it up and down, and swivel it 180. Well, I do see that it says "quick reply" so maybe I can send a couple of pictures to show you what I'm talking about...nothing fancy.

About the Acrobat stand, I just called Rio Grande last week and they said it wouldn't fit. Then I called GRS and they said it would fit. So I just tried what I told you above. I'll introduce myself to the board in a day or two, but I wanted to let you know what I did with the stand.

ps...I have the fiber optic light pipes...have never tried the flourescent ring. Talk to ya later...happy scrolling.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam how long will the rubber band stay on the light ring:) Glad you like your new scope. I have a cheap Omano and it's fine but the brightness is an issue. Sometimes it's hard to find the tip of the graver unless the light hits it just right. It's kinda weird what gets us excited isn't it. I always get the "my dad's a little weird" when I talk about something like this at home. Another good reason for the forum.

Sam

Staff member
Mike: I'm embarrassed to say that the rubber band is still in place! Good grief...i need to make an adapter or something!

TJ: Thanks for your input. The Stemi 2000 is slightly smaller than the ring in the Acrobat stand, but some leather shims secure it quite nicely. I Think Chris DeCamillis also uses leather shims on his Zeiss with Acrobat stand.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I don't know about your experience, but It took a very long time to get my .63 objective lens from Zeiss.
Of course, once I installed it on the microscope all my rage at Zeiss was forgiven.

Sam

Staff member
Glenn: I used the 0.5x objective off my Meiji scope until my 0.63x arrived from Zeiss. As I recall it was pretty fast...a few days all the way from Germany. My only gripe was they charged my card twice which had to be corrected.

I do not recommend using the 0.5x Meiji objective, by the way. The scope was definitely way off using that lens. Once the 0.63x Zeiss arrived it was perfect. / ~Sam

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Big surprise today - the microscope arrived this morning - a couple of weeks earlier than expected. As Sam observed it is very light. Certainly i was curious about my scratching plates - how would they look under this thing. Oh dear - i'll give it back (no, never, just kidding) - horrible! What a difference to my headloupe! Didn't expected that, really.
Now i have to order a stand for it...

So Sam, thank you again for the very good advice.
Mario

Attachments

• stemi2000.jpg
    stemi2000.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 91