Help, please: Looking for advice on choosing an engraving system

chathu

I didn't thoroughly read all posts so sorry if I contradict or repeat anyone.

Check the post on here by searching Leica review. Sam Alfano did a great comparison review of the Leica which I have and love and the meji.

I don't know much about the Enset but I have heard good things and particularly for stone setting because you can control the hits down to making it do one tap at a time. That's immense control.

I use a palm control and love it. I have never tried stone setting. I think the foot control would achieve very nearly as good results in a practiced hand. You have the advantage of being able to push without the palm control starting to tap when using the foot control.

Grs is a great system also. They have a model which has the air compressor in it... their oldest design I think. Slightly noisy from what I have heard but I am sure it's not that bad ??

Don't buy the knock off gravers.
Up to you on the vises... I have seen and used both and the knock off a are not as high quality but we'll... they vise. If you stick it on a quality turntable you would be OK. For jewellery though I would the microblock or Lindsays low profile microscope vise which doesn't turn but it's made to be used on a turntable under a microscope. You need a turn table to work under a scope. Folk on here have built them. For the price shimpo turntables are meant to be good.

Grs has a good range of power in the adjustments on the box... get the right handpiece for the kind of work you are doing though... some won't go fine enough.

Lindsay had a good range of power too by using the different pistons he sells... the handpieces with the adjustment collar ... and by altering the psi.

If you can get scuba tanks or paintball canisters of co2 or compressed air and run the Lindsay and pieces off them and scrap the need for the air compressor. I take my micro block. My Palm control and my bycycle tire co2 cartridges to knife shows and do demos.

Can anyone link this chap some videos of the different tools in use ... ???????? Stone setting especially.

Good luck with your decision

Thanks Dani,

Nice information you shared there. Thank you for taking time for it.

I would love to go for a leica scope but its expensive. It dosent support trinocular scope where i can setup a video camera. Meiji has it and I love showing what I am doing to my buyers.

Knock-offs are off the subject as many here have said so.

At the moment Im studying the GRS and Lindsay systems and I will check the Enset as well. Since Im a setter rather than a graver I think Enset have much to offer as well. The problem is I cant test any system in my country so this is going to be an informed buying decision purely based on the information I gather from the internet. :) Many have helped and I have more confidence than when I thought of it first.

Good idea on the air cannister thing. How long could you run from single can ? It seems doable since compressors are somewhat expensive.

Cheers

chathu

Chathu
I have a Lindsay Artisan . I've been engraving for about two years now and I don't see a need for a different tool for a while. It's powerful enough for anything I've done so far and very high quality and the customer service is top notch! I bought a used airbrush compressor for $30 and it has all the power I need and is very quiet. I keep it under my bench and its no louder than someone speaking in a low tone. In fact, it's low warble is quite soothing.

Hi Speeedy6,

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Lindsay seems a good choice and I have it in my mind.

About your air brush compressor, How long have you been using it ? Let me know the lifespan of it ? Do you use it for several hours a day and use it daily ? $30 seems very afordable even if I have replace it in few months.
Please let me know the brand of it so that I can look it up.

Cheers

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Chathu,
The tag on the compressor reads " Airbrush Depot, Model TC-20 , 120volt A.C. , .7 cfm 20 lpm " . It's mounted on an air tank about 1 liter with a regulator and moisture separator . I bought it off our local Craigslist and the seller even brought it to me. It cycles regularly but not too much and provides all the air I need. I'm very happy with it and it's lasted my two years at least an hour or two a day almost daily and still going strong.

chathu

Chathu,
The tag on the compressor reads " Airbrush Depot, Model TC-20 , 120volt A.C. , .7 cfm 20 lpm " . It's mounted on an air tank about 1 liter with a regulator and moisture separator . I bought it off our local Craigslist and the seller even brought it to me. It cycles regularly but not too much and provides all the air I need. I'm very happy with it and it's lasted my two years at least an hour or two a day almost daily and still going strong.

Hi Speeedy6,
That sounds...wow !
Thanks for letting me know the details. Compressor was a complete headache, thanks for giving some hope. Running for two years without a problem ? Thats good news.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Takoyaki

Hi Chathu,

did You decide which way to go ?
new,good one used ?
decided on a system ....?

good luck!

Tako

chathu

Hi Chathu,

did You decide which way to go ?
new,good one used ?
decided on a system ....?

good luck!

Tako

Hi Tako,

Used one in good condition seems OK with my budget. And i guess there is nothing much wrong with a used one as far as its working properly, right ? But the hard thing is that I will have to buy it at my own risk. :)

I still havent decided on a system though. Thinking about GRS and Lindsay. I couldnt get much information about Enset.

My schedule has been revised a bit and I may have to buy it before the end of July. So I will have to choose something quickly, may be within a couple of days.

Regards,

Chathu