Lettering gravers - See what this guy used

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I rescued this silver plate from the scrap pile years ago, and it's a really nice example of engraved lettering from the 1950's. The size is approximately 3-3/4" x 2-1/4" (9.5cm x 5.7cm).

As you can see, the engraver used a square (or other v-shaped graver), liners, and a round graver. The signatures at the bottom are called facsimile signatures and hand engravers were often called upon to cut them.

This is a clean, professional layout with nice execution. I would liked to have met this engraver. / ~Sam

Attachments

• whatgraver1.jpg
    whatgraver1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 490
  • whatgraver2.jpg
    whatgraver2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 482
  • whatgraver3.jpg
    whatgraver3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 447
  • whatgraver4.jpg
    whatgraver4.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 456

Gordon

I rescued this silver plate from the scrap pile years ago, and it's a really nice example of engraved lettering from the 1950's. The size is approximately 3-3/4" x 2-1/4" (9.5cm x 5.7cm).

As you can see, the engraver used a square (or other v-shaped graver), liners, and a round graver. The signatures at the bottom are called facsimile signatures and hand engravers were often called upon to cut them.

This is a clean, professional layout with nice execution. I would liked to have met this engraver. / ~Sam
This is a really cool piece!

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
especially with adornment of the three eyed squirril:happyvise: paps

papart1

Gordon...........I may have in the rears in assuming ( ! ) it is three eyed..........I'm sorry I just realized its Hindu, my apologizes sir. paps:shock:

allan621

Love the P put inside the loop of the president's facsimile. And the hyphen between the day and year instead of a comma. That may have been a Lousiana thing back then. And before the internet and engraving forums we used to hear about engraving in other areas of the country from the traveling jewelery tool sales guys who used to sell across the country. A lot of mention was made of the New Orleans engravers, there were a lot of them and a lot them highly skilled at the craft. He also told us a tale about an engraver out west who used a microscope on his work.

When I moved from Philadelphia to Baltimore in 2000 I was really taken back with the different style preferences customers had. Same from some of the mail order customers from Georgia and Texas. That's when I started doing sketches for everything and getting approval before I started engraving. Nowadays, there is a lot of relief in getting things letter engraved that pretty much everything is ok. I still

But things still change. Lots of similarities everywhere. When I do numbered dates inside rings I used to always use hyphens ( 8 - 17- 19) or centered dots between the numbers. Now half the rings I engrave have periods between the numbers ( 8 . 17 . 19 ) A small change, kind of insignificant but people just insist on it.

Thanks for posting the engraved membership card. Makes my mind wander back. And I used to do those back in the 80's for organizations in Philadelphia.

Allan

Latest posts

Sponsors