New to engraving, saying hello!

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Everybody,

I'm new to engraving... just getting started and I've been lurking on this and other forums and I've decided to muster up the courage to say hello!

I have some pretty good tools, a couple of Airgraver Classics and foot controls, A decent microscope and stand, plus a whole lot of enthusiasm.

I would love to know if anybody in the Rochester NY area is available to show a few pointers and maybe just let me watch for a while. Youtube is great, but it's no substitute for watching it done without the camera lens in the way.

Anyway, as I said... saying hello is the first step! (wasn't as hard as I thought... glad it's out of the way)

Mike

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Greetings Mike,

Welcome.

I hope there'll be someone in the vicinity to help out, but if not, don't lose heart. When I first started, I was pretty much on my own as far as learning.. though there was a kind gentleman north of me to show me a classic before I purchased.

Maybe think about signing up for a class from one of the many teachers as well as buying some dvd's.

I hope someone is near to give you oppurtunity.

Andy

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
I'm a member over at the Lindsay forum. I actually get into Albany a couple times peach year, I'll reach out and touch base.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. draw a design on a piece of metal. then cut the design. you may surprise yourself. you mentioned that you have all the toys. that's good. how about pencils? pencil control is more important to learn than graver control. all you will want to learn is predicated on good design concepts.
it would also be good to hook up with somebody that has a knowledge of this art. above all, a lot of practice awaits you. enjoy it !

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
welcome. draw a design on a piece of metal. then cut the design. you may surprise yourself. you mentioned that you have all the toys. that's good. how about pencils? pencil control is more important to learn than graver control. all you will want to learn is predicated on good design concepts.
it would also be good to hook up with somebody that has a knowledge of this art. above all, a lot of practice awaits you. enjoy it !

Yes, I've grabbed some 6H Pencils and have been practicing! I've always been a bit of a doodler, nothing I draw actually resembles a Sam Alfano Scoll and Leaf design, I prefer Asian art, and I hope to apply engraving to that style.

Here's a practice plate I did using a home-made pneumatic engraver which actually worked... not well, but it worked.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
good to hear you have developed doodling as you call it. that's an advantage that many newcomers don't seem to have.thanks for sharing. amazing you invented your own system. i also share your interest in the oriental art. much of it is just beautiful to look at.

Last edited:

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
good to hear you have developed doodling as you call it. that's an advantage that many newcomers don't seem to have.thanks for sharing. amazing you invented your own system. i also share your interest in the oriental art. much of it is just beautiful to look at.

I should post some pictures of the home-built pneumatic engravers I made... I'll try to remember tomorrow when I'm at the shop, which is where the tools live. I own a CNC manufacturing business.

The tools are pretty funny, I had never seen a real engraving tool in person when I made them, and didn't quite grasp how small they actually are. The tools I made actually worked well enough to get the idea of what needed to be done, but they are cumbersome in comparison to the Lindsay Air-Gravers I have now. When the first airgraver arrived, I laughed out loud at how small it was and remember thinking "how can that little thing have any actual power?" It turns out it has a LOT of power, and it's size makes it so much easier to control.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome to the cafe. :tiphat:

Always great to have some new blood taking up our artform. I am certain you will get lots of good advice on here and encouragement. Please post your drawings, post your work, your setup, we love pictures :)

Latest posts

Sponsors