Identifying more older GRS handpieces.

jdempsey

Hey guys, in acquiring equipment, I ended up with some more older hand pieces. I think the ones on the right are the 563 Bulino, 506 Large, and 508 Standard hand pieces, but I'm wanting verification, and I have no idea about the one on the left? It's got a very small 1/16 or smaller collet with an ejector rod on the back.

Maybe for scrimshaw or something? Seems to take small pointed rods.

As mentioned in the other thread, I've got an 801 QC, and QC 710 handpieces with the Gravermax I bought.

Which of these do you guys see as useful to keep? I'm assuming the QC holders for sure, maybe the large handpiece and the bulino also?

I ended up with some extra stuff that I'll probably sell to recoup some of my costs overall, and if advisable, I'll buy a couple of newer hand pieces shortly, so I'd like advise as to what the perceived best group of handpieces to keep/acquire are.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
jdempsy: The one on the left is an ultra high speed handpiece, runs at about 350,000 RPM made by fordeham. I happen to have one of them and they are good for background removal. The other three are outdated if you want to make a living as an engraver. The quick change hand pieces are the way to go, for speed in changing tools. The 506 large might be use full if you want to engrave motorcycle parts, or carve wood.

jdempsey

Thanks again Tim, do you think the other QC handpieces I've got (801 and 710) are good to start with? Would I be better off adding a Monarch or Magnum and using the 801, or getting a 901 instead?

I'm mostly going to be starting with engraving pocket knife fittings, I'm a slipjoint maker primarily.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
jdempsy: The quick change system allows you to put a graver in the tool holder and never take it out until it gets to short to use. Combined with the easy graver sharpening fixtures, it allows you to resharpen a graver in virtually no time at all. You maintain the same angles consistently and it will save you a lot of time. I would also recommend that you buy a multi angle fixture so that you can custom grind gravers to any face and heel angle you desire. Also when your gravers get to short to use comfortably you can buy extended tool holders for more graver life.

jdempsey

Thanks for all the help Tim. I did end up with a power hone and the standard fixture, but I'm incredibly well setup for grinding tooling, with belt, disc, multiple pedestal grinders and surface grinders, so I may pass it along and get the multi-angle fixture and adapt it to a disc grinder or something, I don't have much space for redundant table top equipment these days.

Sponsors