FEGA Master Engraver coat of arms

NicGregson

Just wanted to say what a great picture greeted me at my PO BOX this morning.....LOVE the FEGA Master Engraver coat of arms!!! So beautiful. Great work Andrew and Sam :) I think this is the 3rd? edition I've received now and I love the magazine, keep up the great work everyone involved. Legends :)

Andrew Biggs

Hi Nick

Thanks for that. :)

Sam and I put our heads together and came up with the concept drawings with good old pencil and paper. Sam then did all the digital work on the computer. It was fun working together and bouncing ideas off one another. Then putting pencil to paper and then finally watching it come to life in colour. It was a real team effort.

I’ve attached a picture for those that don’t know what we are talking about…………..It will soon be available on the FEGA web site so that the FEGA Master Engravers can start using it on their stationary, web sites and signage.

I’ve also attached a picture of the FEGA Master Engravers hallmark stamp designed by Barry Lee Hands and myself. This can be used by any FEGA Master Engraver to help identify their work for future generations………..No matter what the stamp size it will never be right. So it has been designed so that it can easily be drawn directly onto the work and engraved by hand.

Barry is organising the hallmark stamp and finalising the best size to order in quantity.

Another idea from lee Griffiths that came out of the Masters meeting earlier this year was a FEGA Master Authenticity certificate. That has now been done in 3 sizes and printed on non yellowing archival paper/card.

Very soon all FEGA Masters will be receiving a complimentary pack of the authenticity certificates and the FME hallmark stamp…………I would encourage all FEGA Masters to start using these things and start marking their work.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• FEGA Master Stamp.jpg
    FEGA Master Stamp.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 318
  • FME-logo-colour-1a-small.jpg
    FME-logo-colour-1a-small.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 320

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Excellent work Andrew and Sam! As is often said, FEGA is what the membership makes of it and you both have been doing so much.
I and your other fellow members are proud of you both and grateful to have you so involved and active.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The new miniature Master Engraver logo has been updated and will show in members' signatures.

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for that :)

I have to emphasise that this is a collaborative effort between a lot of people. It all started with ideas discussed at the FEGA Masters at the show in Las Vegas earlier this year. Those ideas then had to be translated into something solid and worked on to bring into fruition.

I would like to publicly thank the FEGA BOD, Sam Alfano, Barry Hands, Dan Mooney, JA Printing, Diane Scalese, Lee Griffiths and Bill Gamradt who has to upload and change everything on the FEGA web site.

But we are not finished………………..

Sam Alfano and myself are working closely with Dan Mooney who is a professional calligraphy artist. He is currently redesigning the FEGA Master Engraver certificate. We have seen the progress photos from the ideas phase to where it is today. This is another legacy project…………it will be worthy of framing and will be something to hand down to the children and grandchildren.

The certificate will incorporate the FEGA logo, the new Masters coat of arms plus the Masters stamp. It will also feature the Latin phrase ut ars caelaminis honoratum habeatur which means, in English, to honor the art of engraving.

It will be giclee fine art printed on special archival paper and fully illuminated with gold leaf applied by hand and hand lettered for each FEGA Master.

Below is a sneak preview of the certificate and when completed there will be a full article about it in the FEGA Engraver magazine by Dan Mooney. It's a fascinating process!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• FME-progress-small.jpg
    FME-progress-small.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Another idea from lee Griffiths that came out of the Masters meeting earlier this year was a FEGA Master Authenticity certificate. That has now been done in 3 sizes and printed on non yellowing archival paper/card.

Not that I will ever expect to be handing these out but was consideration given to having templates of certificates that could be printed up with a photo of the piece inserted on the certificate? They all look good anyway.

Roger

Andrew Biggs

Roger B...........No, that was never considered. These FEGA Master Engraver Authenticity certificates are pre-printed in bulk so it's impossible to allow for that kind of thing. But who knows what the future will bring :)

I've attached the letter size certificate. The two smaller sizes are double sided to accommodate all the wording etc.

Scott..........The BOD is working on a clever plan and once the final costings come in we will have a few decisions to make. So watch this space :)

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• FME-Authenticity-Letter-Size-small.jpg
    FME-Authenticity-Letter-Size-small.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 114

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been toying with going for the Master Engraver certification for several years and the new logo and certificate are amazing and very desirable. Pushing seventy years old, I may be too late for it other than personal satisfaction, plus I would need to impress the guild with my limited abilities. Still may try for it.

Bill

Andrew Biggs

Hi Bill

Why not give it a go? At the end of the day the worst that can happen is the judges (Masters) say "No" Many of the current Masters were rejected a couple of times till they passed.

Or they may say "Yes".................But you will never know till you try. :)

There's no shame in not passing. It just means you have to focus and keep trying and upping your game till you do pass. And if you never pass, what does it really matter? If you want it, then go for it and see what happens :)

Cheers
Andrew

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the encouragement Andrew. I think I'll start preparing myself and try for the 2017 FEGA meeting. If nothing else, I'll learn a lot!

Bill