Question: turntable

amagnussen

Anyone have a turntable that you would like to sell or any suggestions on which one to buy? GRS, Lindsay? thx for your time.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
banding wheel is the cheapest... grs or lindsay will be superior , and lower profile, but banding wheel is great

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I just looked at a Shimpo banding wheel on a pottery site. I was surprised to see it's made of cast iron ! I had seen photo's of them and I just assumed they were plastic. Some sort of rust proof surface coating gave it a plastic look I guess. With ball bearings and cast iron material, I'm sure they are a nice tool. Price was around $60 ,that seemed very reasonable for the high quality.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i just made my own. my vise sits in a nylon "ring socket". that socket sits atop a bed of .25" ball bearings. the nylon socket is constrained by a larger ring that just allows for free rotation. if i remove the restraining ring, my vise can scoot all over the place.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just looked at a Shimpo banding wheel on a pottery site. I was surprised to see it's made of cast iron ! I had seen photo's of them and I just assumed they were plastic. Some sort of rust proof surface coating gave it a plastic look I guess. With ball bearings and cast iron material, I'm sure they are a nice tool. Price was around $60 ,that seemed very reasonable for the high quality.

I have one of them and it is very good, although a little tall for some work.

Bill

Patrice Lemee

i just made my own. my vise sits in a nylon "ring socket". that socket sits atop a bed of .25" ball bearings. the nylon socket is constrained by a larger ring that just allows for free rotation. if i remove the restraining ring, my vise can scoot all over the place.

Monk, any chance of a pic or 2?

monk

Staff member
Monk, any chance of a pic or 2?

yes. i'll poke thru my collection of fotos. if i cant find fotos, i'll cobble a drawing together for you. the way i did mine, only common shop tools were used. the exception was the nylon rings. i turned them on my wood lathe

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I have a second-hand Shimpo I bought from Ray Cover, and like it very much. Its only drawback is that it has no brake. I could easily fabricate one, but never seem to get around to doing that. On those occasions when I need to lock it, I simply wedge a piece of 1x2 under the rim, but it would be nice to have an adjustable brake.

I recently acquired Steve Lindsay's turntable, and I like it more every day. Its greater diameter and polished surface allows me to work on larger items under the microscope, and it is very smooth, quiet and absolutely stable. And it has a built-in, adjustable brake.

monk

Staff member
Hey Monk, when you post the photos or drawings, please include dimensions. Thanks.

mike: i searched my foto file. sadly, no fotos except one. this one is the first version i did, and does not show the total unit. to utilize my idea would require the use of a nylon or pvc "socket" for your ball vise. i would think a socket of wood wouldn't work too well as the weight of the vise & socket ride directly on the bearing bed. it's going to take me a couple days to do a drawing. send me your email address

Attachments

• BEARING BED.JPG
    BEARING BED.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 242

monk

Staff member
Monk. What kind of bearing are you using under the turntable for rotation?

rex: these were packaged as slingshot ammo in a local gander mountain sg store. they were perfectly round. about $ 11.00 for a box of perhaps a hundred. i needed almost 2 boxes. beware-- to those wishing to try this-- some slingshot ammo has flat spots. i'd think these wouldn't work so well. bulk bearing balls can be obtained at mcmaster carr. to get this to work, a lot of fiddling around is needed. it works for me, but others may not wish to be bothered.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not the top ones I mean the bearing you are using to rotate the turntable. Is it a roller bearing, ball bearing or what?

monk

Staff member
Not the top ones I mean the bearing you are using to rotate the turntable. Is it a roller bearing, ball bearing or what?

rex: i guess, by definition, i don't have a turntable. the entire arrangement rides atop a 12" diameter x .25" thick steel plate. the steel plate is bolted to a large, bronze nut. the entire apparatus turns, for lowering or raising on an 1 1/2" industrial leadscrew. all that is affixed to what i call a "scope cart". i can roll it where i want it. handy for me, as i have very limited floor space. some time ago i think i sent fotos of the contraption up to the archive.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
rex: i guess, by definition, i don't have a turntable. the entire arrangement rides atop a 12" diameter x .25" thick steel plate. the steel plate is bolted to a large, bronze nut. the entire apparatus turns, for lowering or raising on an 1 1/2" industrial leadscrew. all that is affixed to what i call a "scope cart". i can roll it where i want it. handy for me, as i have very limited floor space. some time ago i think i sent fotos of the contraption up to the archive.

Hey Monk, as long as it works for you.
A lot of people don't understand how the turntable works.
This video explains it simply.
Turntable Video
The key is to center the scope to the center of the turntable and keep it there.

monk

Staff member
Hey Monk, as long as it works for you.
A lot of people don't understand how the turntable works.
This video explains it simply.
Turntable Videoy
The key is to center the scope to the center of the turntable and keep it there.
yeah, you're right. so much has been posted on the concept. it's such a simple concept, but many newbies seem to have difficulty with it. for sure, if one gets a scope, they will soon grasp the concept. so many "centering gadjets" have been invented by members. early on i tried a couple, but soon learned i could just do it without the gadjets.

BarryB

Mike,
Here is a brake/drag I added to my Shimpo View attachment 37988
Very clever... Mine will have one just like it later this afternoon. I've been jamming whatever is handy under there, for five years, but now, your fabulous design will allow me to simply twist a bit and lock that baby up. I had a design in my head, but yours is elegant and simple. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Sponsors