Non engraving related knife making

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will engrave the folder some day when I decide on a good design for it, but mostly this thread is just to show some recent knife making I have done.

I got helped by two of my engraving students/knife making teachers.

Christian Mathieson helped me make the folder which is S35VN steel on the blade and Titanium handles. I have a little bit of tweaking to do on the action and I am going to carbidize the lock face to make it easier to shut.

Adam Parker helped me make the fixed blade. ATS34 Stainless steel and 416 Stainless slotted guard and Western Myal wood handle scales.

How many folk on here are interested in knife making?

(side question does anyone have a Lindsay palm control and any of his other models... would love to ask a few questions)

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
Dani, I've been making knives for several years. Knives are a great canvas to engrave. Embellishing knives adds a real visual appeal and at the same time makes the knife a "one of a kind".

Dan

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
(side question does anyone have a Lindsay palm control and any of his other models... would love to ask a few questions)

Hi Dani,

Nice work on the knives! I just happen to use a Lindsay Palm Control Classic and a Nitro G-20. And, I just bought an Artisan for my daughter (and just happened to test it extensively...). So, I can probably answer some of your questions.

Tom

Last edited:

Patrice Lemee

Knives look great Dani. But as a knifemaker myself (hobbyist) I have only one advice: Turn back NOW! Until it's too late and you catch this terrible bug/addiction/disease called knifemaking.

;)

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
With all of the exotic materials available to you in Australia for scales ect. you can do some really nice work. I know you have access to some really interesting hardwoods that we cannot get easily here. Did you grind the folder blade?? It is an addictive occupation like engraving is, keep it up and keep posting your results, it is nice to see progress as you go along.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
You go girl ! Great work, addiction or not some just have to learn to live with there's. Knife making is a beautiful art form and it sounds like you have some great teachers to aid you in your progress. Your engraving now has a new canvas.

Good Luck
Eric

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
nice for sure. i use the lindsay classic now & then. if you are considering buying into "air assist", don't be tempted to get such off the bay. there are chinese knockoffs on the bay that look nearly like grs equipment. sadly, the low price usually usually shows up in disastrous ways once you begin using this junk. they have done nicely making "lookalikes". seems they forgot about quality !!!!!!

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk sadly I agree whole heartedly on the Chinese knock off air gravers. They won't produce anything remotely close to what you can do with a palm control or something of quality. The knock off balls are also quite geatey and rough and take some work as soon as you get them to make them turn smoothish but will never be as good as the real grs unless you really know what you are doing to fix them.

Thank you everyone.

Yes I have caught the bug whole heartedly. Engraving feeling less like a hobby I took it up to compliant the engraving and leatherwork as well. I can perfect my sheath making and spend my down time making knives to engrave.

Yep I am really really fortunate with my wonderful teachers. Have made some great friends through it

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
You do realize that picnics, boating/swimming/fishing are also acceptable uses of your down time? Going to a movie can be fun!

When I first got started making jewelry (mostly earrings...and it was in the early 1980's) we would take our new wares to the local bar, on a night we knew the women would be out. We could sell almost the whole lot in one go. Something like that might be fun with your knives too!

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Picnics and movies happen occasionally ... I just don't call them hobbies. As busy as I look on here I actually have way too much time on my hands but as everyone guesses being a country girl only working two days a week and not a great deal of 'life ' outside all this. Just work and church and meetings with church folk.

I used to do archery for ten years but I messed up my shoulder ligaments and I would be seeing the physio to ask about it if I ever decide I want to go back.

Thanks diandwill for the thoughts

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey everyone. I just wanted to say the next job on a knife I finish will be my hundredth knife engraving that I can track down. I was just wandering if I had hit a hundred yet so I sat down and added then up. I have also done 24 pendants and such... 23 other things like zippo and axes and golf club heads and 5 rings 2 bracelets and 3 plaques and a piston. Good three years fun chiseling

147 jobs I could find plus practice plates and thousands of rotary hand engraving jobs at work over the last five years.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks southern_lights.

That is definitely going to be happening soon. Great to see you come out from the shadows :)

Danae.

Sponsors