The 2016 NRA Silver Medallion Awards

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
It was a great NRA Show both for me and the Colt Collectors Association. The crowds were nearly overwhelming, and we had the opportunity to show some of the best engraving that Colt has to offer. Colt sent over sixty engraved and historical Colts from their Hartford Museum, and we added a few special pieces of contemporary engraving to supplement the display. This is a photographic overview of the display taken just before the doors opened on Friday.

I had my traveling bench and equipment to demonstrate the art of engraving to the attendees - that kept me very busy throughout the three-day show. I'm sure I talked with at least a thousand NRA Members, and to a good number of independent engravers who stopped by to visit as well.

No doubt the highlight of the event for me and the CCA was the Awards Ceremony that was held on Sunday Morning. During the first section of awards for exhibitors, the CCA received the Best Educational Display Award.

The excitement grew as NRA Officials continued the program by announcing the coveted NRA Silver Medallion Awards. There are 10 such awards presented each year for individual excellence in historical or exceptional individual firearms. Applicants for the Medallion Awards apply prior to the the show, and it is judged early Saturday before the doors are opened to the public. Judges pass throughout the display area (about 10 acres this year) to review the individual applicant's firearms. It is also worth noting that in 2016, the judges found only nine deserving Medallion recipients

The first successful CCA Medallion to be awarded went to Dr. Paul McCombs who had his very rare 1775 Colt Single Action Army "Pinched" frame 7 1/2" Bbl .45 Cal on display at one end of the CCA booth area.

I was thrilled when they announced that my 'Greatest Generation Colt 1911 Colt Auto" was also a winner of a 2016 Silver Medallion. This the Colt that had previously won the two highest Colt Collectors Association Awards at the October 2012 Denver Show, and went on to win four FEGA Awards at the January 2013 FEGA Show. To my great pleasure, C. Roger Bleile also used The Greatest Generation Colt on the dust covers of American Engravers III. This a tribute to all the artists who played a part in the project - Katherine Plumer, scrimshaw; Les Yoder, Presentation Case; Doug Turnbull, final finish; Larry Downing, custom knife.

[/QUOTE]

In 2016 Colt Collectors Exhibit and the individual firearms on display there won three major NRA awards in Louisville...that's a record!

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If any firearm deserved all the awards possible, your Colt certainly fits the description! Congrats, to you and I can't forget Katherine Plummer's wonderful scrimshaw contribution.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congrats Mike! Well deserved honor for a great gun and a fantastic engraver. You have taught me many things over the past 30 years. It has been a pleasure.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It was a pleasure to see you again at NRA 2016. A number of folks commented positively to me about seeing the Greatest Generation Colt. Congratulations on another well deserved award.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Mike,

Wow, man, you're definitely breathing some rarified air there!
"The Greatest Generation Colt" is really over the top & several ways for sure.
Congratulations on a superb achievement & on winning a much-deserved award!!
You hit that one outa the park!!!

Weldon