My 5 minutes of fame - S&W project on TV

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
As it happened, one local TV show (arguably the most watched one here) made a little clip about my doings and about recent S&W revolver project. The idea was that the project was documented from beginning to the end. So they were here when I made the first cut and in the end where I opened the box and presented the gun, plus the interviews. All filming and photography about the process itself was done by me.

Grips by me, box by my dad.

Time to brush up your Estonian - http://bit.ly/1WFgjBj

And here is the final result

DSCF7216-Edit.jpg

DSCF7182-Edit.jpg

DSCF7222-Edit.jpg

DSCF7221-Edit.jpg

DSCF7224-Edit.jpg

DSCF7225-Edit.jpg

DSCF7227-Edit.jpg

DSCF7229.jpg

DSCF7235-Edit.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Truly wonderful engraving, Viljo! It's been great watching you progress from a rank beginner to executing master class work. You have what it takes my friend. You have the technical skills to produce flawless engraving and the artistic skills to make it fabulous. :clapping: :bow: :beerchug:

rbauman

The more I look at the pictures, the more I see. The grips look as if they may be bookmatched, is the wood local to your area?

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Truly wonderful engraving, Viljo! It's been great watching you progress from a rank beginner to executing master class work. You have what it takes my friend. You have the technical skills to produce flawless engraving and the artistic skills to make it fabulous. :clapping: :bow: :beerchug:

Thank you, Sam! It's been a fun journey indeed :). And much-much more still to learn

The more I look at the pictures, the more I see. The grips look as if they may be bookmatched, is the wood local to your area?

This is koawood, not local to me, unfortunately. The grip pieces were cut from same piece, so they're "brothers", but not quite twins, I'd say.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I couldn't just hit the '' like '' button. I have to say,that is beautiful work. And I see from the box, you must come from a talented family. Thank you for posting, I like your style very much !

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts, I love it, I have a question, what tablet are you using for drawing, I love using technology, thanks again

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
I was pleasantly surprised that I actually understood 50-60% of the video... Being half Finish on my mothers side. I didn't know Estonian language was that close to Finish

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!

Vilts, I love it, I have a question, what tablet are you using for drawing, I love using technology, thanks again

First parts of the design were done on Wacom Cintiq (connected to PC) and latest parts with iPad Pro.

Now Wacom is sold and iPad Pro is my main drawing device. I must say that I am very impressed with its capability and like it more than Cintiq, which is supposedly the best drawing tablet out there. Well, not any more, at least for me. iPad is much more practical, nice large screen, no wires dangling and "pen to screen" discance is very small indeed. So no parallax problems, which plagues most of digital drawing devices.

Mac guys have even a nice program which mirrors their computer screen to iPad and then you can use Photoshop and other programs "natively". I'm on a PC, so that's not an option, but there are quite good drawing programs, so not a problem.

For the history of my device usage - I have had Wacom Bamboo, MS Surface Pro 2 and 4, Wacom Cintiq 13HD and now iPad Pro. So far it is the best.

I was pleasantly surprised that I actually understood 50-60% of the video... Being half Finish on my mothers side. I didn't know Estonian language was that close to Finish

Yeah, Estonian and Finnish are quite close. But we have also many 'catches' between languages. Most popular is Estonian "ruumi koristama" (to clean a room), which word-to-word in Finnish mean "to embellish a corpse"

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that is a marvelous looking piece of work. i really like how you used the "crosshatch" to add extra interest to the gun. to me, that makes a great looking work look even better and more visually appealing.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Really beautiful, Viljo... I love that full coverage cylinder. Outstanding... television footage was very cool.